• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SMOG ONLY TEST REQUIRED

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I just got a renewal requiring a test only smog on my XJ. I've never had one before on a vehicle, are they harder to pass and any other feedback that might be helpful.

It basically means you have to go to a smog shop, and not a mechanic that smogs. They are stricter internally (which helps cut down cheating) but makes no difference to you, unless you have a mechanic friend that cheats for you.

No harder to pass, just be sure you're tuned up first.
No reason to do a pre test as law requires a free retest (within time limits) if you fail the first time.
Remember, "Test Only" is not allowed to do any repair, but they may try to sell you a new gas cap if yours doesn't hold a vaccuum.

Mike

jeeperjohn said:
"test only" means that if your car doesn't pass, it gets confiscated and crushed! J/K:)

Well then fortunately mine sailed right through after a bottle of Redline Injector cleaner in the tank. Not sure what is in that stuff but it seems to help. My XJ actually tested cleaner this time than 18 months ago. 211k on the clock with no engine work. I'm moving to Southern Utah soon so this will be the last CA smog test. There are safety only inspections where I'm going.

Before you go, i HIGHLY recommend dumping a small bottle of Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner in a full or 3/4 full tank. This stuff really works wonders, I notice a good power increase and smoother idle when i use it, and it's only like 3 bucks at Kragen. Cheap insurance.

Back