• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker question

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to the locker game but finally have enough money to start throwing into my axles. Had a few newb questions(i couldnt find in the search forums)hope you salty dogs dont mind anserin-
-can i re-use my locker if i regear?
-why do auto lockers "act funny" in snow? what does that mean? is it better to be unlocked in snow and ice?
-if i only do one axle, which is most effective, front or rear?
why do the ox and arb cost so damn much compared to the detroit true track and aussie?
alright thanks for clearing away some of these loose ends for me and i hope some other newbs find this thread useful down the road.
rltw

1) you may be able to re use your locker if you re-gear. Depends on axle and gear ratio.

2)On sidehills a locked axle will want to slide downhill on snow and ice. In an open differentialed rig, only one of the tires spins, so the other acts as an anchor, with them both locked together, they both slip and slide.

3) rear

4)OX and ARB are selectable lockers. They can be "ON or OFF" an "auto" locker like a detroit is always locked, there is no open differential mode.

SUA SPONTE said:
I'm new to the locker game but finally have enough money to start throwing into my axles. Had a few newb questions(i couldnt find in the search forums)hope you salty dogs dont mind anserin-
-why do auto lockers "act funny" in snow? what does that mean? is it better to be unlocked in snow and ice?
why do the ox and arb cost so damn much compared to the detroit true track and aussie?
alright thanks for clearing away some of these loose ends for me and i hope some other newbs find this thread useful down the road.
rltw

Depends on which kind of locker you get. If you get a full locker like an ARB or Detroit, you will want to get one that goes with the gears. If you get a lunchbox like an Aussie or Lockright, you can transfer it to a carrier made for the gears.

Ive ran my front Aussie in the snow, and have never found it to act funny.

I would personally lock the front. I had a locked rear to beging with, and found at times, I needed more pulling power from the front than the rear.

The OX and ARB have a lot more involved in making them, and are selectable. The Aussie is easier to make, cheaper, but does not have the option of being selectable.

so an auto locker acts more like a spool? i had thought they acted open untill locking up automatic. Any way thanks for the fast replies- Getting ready to whip out the plastic is never easy- untill spending a little time here!

picked up an xj 44 im going to swap in- my front is the vacume junk so i was hoping to find a hp 30 with the same ratio as my 44- 3.54. not going to keep it that ratio forever but the axles cost a little and so does a locker(s) hoping i could reger down the road, if its possible.

i know its small, but the difference wont put extra wear on my drive line will it? Im not sure how much the warn kit is, but i figure a hp dana 30 from the yard cant be much more than a hundred or so. Thanks for all the help. Thinking about running an ox in the back for now. When i get rich, ill run one up front.

SUA SPONTE said:
i know its small, but the difference wont put extra wear on my drive line will it? Im not sure how much the warn kit is, but i figure a hp dana 30 from the yard cant be much more than a hundred or so. Thanks for all the help. Thinking about running an ox in the back for now. When i get rich, ill run one up front.

You can run up to a 2% difference in front and rear gears and be safe. IE: Run 5.38's in a front D44 and 5.43's in a rear 9".

I see you are in the PNW. PM Avanteone, he may have a D30. If not, check out the Northwest Chapter for sale forum.

My 2 cents

The carrier break in the dana 30 is at 3.73. If you plan of going to a gear bigger then that you will need to replace the locker, unless it is a Aussie. With the Aussie your just looking at a different carrier that you stuff your locker into.

why do auto lockers "act funny" in snow? what does that mean? is it better to be unlocked in snow and ice?
Refer to KarlVP's post.. i fully agree. Also they will also do this in wet and even sandy conditions.

Having ARBs front and rear I often get asked this question. In most all cases where I don't have a locker on and start spinning a tire I turn on the front. I have found that in most conditions it is easier to pull then push.

Selectableis the name of that game. A Detroit True Track is not a full ocker. If funtions like a limited slip. The Aussie is a great product. I know alot of guys running them. If I was doing a budget build IT would include Aussies front and rear. The auto lockers when not under a load will unload and "ratchet" In some modles this is vary load and sort of scary to get use to. The Aussies are not to bad. I jnow a retired guy that lives in snow country that runs them front and rear. He's vary happy. The Aussies just replace the spider gears in the carrier unlike most lockers that are built into a full carrier. Another reason why they are alot cheaper.

MY RECOMENDATION...
Being that you are planning on re-gearing later, are currently are 3.55, go the cheap route with Aussies. Teh drivabilty is not bad at all for a auto locker. You just change your driving style a hair on pavement is all.

Last edited:
Back