• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

les schwab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
well i'm never going back!i took the heep in to get the rear shimed as the drive pinion was at 19 and the shaft was at 14 . so had them install 6* shims.they called i picked up.they said it was vibing a little still.i jump in take it up to 60 and its still the same as before. had my baby girl in the car so did not turn around. got home took a look at the perches and the idiots took off the original shims(that come on from rough country)now am i wrong the new shims go with the original equipment that came with the lift because if not i'll need like a 12-13* shim

If you need to shim your axle 12* don't use shims, that is way to much. You need to cut the perchs off and have some new ones welded on so you don't need any shims. 12 degrees is to much for shims, think how much of the stud will be sitting in the centering hole on the axle. Maybe none.

am i wrong though the original pad is suppose to stay on?it really aint a shim i dont think . anybody got pics of their shims installed?

did they pull out the lift block? I take it you have a lift, was it a aal or block lift in the rear? A 6* shim is alot and only one shim should be installed at a time. If your running a stock driveshaft you don't want your pinion and dshaft at the same angle, only if your running a cv shaft. It's hard to give advice with so little info.

well dont know if it was a lift block. it was attached to the springs when i got them it was probably about 1/2 inch thick and tapered up from there as it went towards the front.it is a tom woods cv shaft and sye thats why i'm trying to get them close or at least the pinion pointing a little down

You got how much lift? You also have a SYE? I got 9" and only used a 6* shim. Something is bad wrong if you need more then that. anything over ^* on a XJ will cause big issues, Can you say Spring wrap?

Need a pic to see what's really going on.

Don't get me wrng. I hate LS. With a major passion I HATE THEM

2cx9hyg.jpg

thats a pic of the leafs RC sent me and those are the pads or shims that les schwab took out and replaced with the shims that i bought.are these suppose to come out beacause if they are whats the point of shiming when your damn close to same angles.try to get the camera to work in a bit for the angles and shims that are on it . as i said though the pinions at 20 the driveshaft is at 14

pull out the t-case drop, dont need it with an sye once you get the shaft setup right

of heres the plan.order perches from RE, take out t/c drop,remeasure angles.cut off perches,clean up axle,set axle on sawhorses and angle diff to what i need,and weld on perches at o* on axle is that gonna work.as i dont have a welder and will have to take the axle and perches somewhere to get welded,or take it to a shop and let them do all he work,but the wallets starting to get thin

Back