• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing Chain + Oil Pump = Problem while running.

sik4wheeler

NAXJA Forum User
So in the past few weeks I replaced the main and rod bearings, while I was under there I also put in a new high volume melling oil pump. I figured I would also replace the timing chain with a double roller from cloyes because it was making a few new sounds so I did that also. The dobble roller had 3 positions that it could be installed in. So i put it in, in the position that the instructions said would produce more torque which I understand would advance the timing. I also took out the distributor so i could prime the oil pump. So the problem is now it is all bolted and put back together and running rough, stumbling, backfiring, etc.. The motor has new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and a coil. It was running fine before the new goodies and I am thinking that it might have something to do with the timing chain. ( ANY IDEAS) At first I thought that the distributor might be a tooth off so I took it back out, brought it back to TDC and the same thing happened when i turned it on. I have not elliminated the distributor being out of whack. But does any have some help or ideas for me. Thank you.

Assuming the cam timing is correct, the distributor is out of position...when you advanced the cam, you also changed the distributor timing. Also the oil pressure is critical...if it goes over 58# it will cause the cam to walk, which will damage the distributor and cam drive gears...

You may have to trim the ears off the distributor and fiddle around with that to get it right.

MudDawg said:
You may have to trim the ears off the distributor and fiddle around with that to get it right.

What he said. Nip off the ears on the distributer and rotate it with the motor running. Rotate it one way and it will die, rotate it the other way and it should smooth out, rotate it too far and it will die again. Its just a matter of hitting the right spot. I have had to do this to every after market cam I have installed in a Jeep 4.0L motor.

AARON

Okay so I just went out and took off the holder and moved the distributor counter clockwise a 1/4 of an inch and it was running like it should. So my question is what do I do now? Since I had to turn it back do I bring it up to TDC again then put the distributor back in a tooth back or forward?

Back