• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expedition Cherokee

gcam

NAXJA Forum User
I've always been more interested in stuff like the Camel Trophy than extreme rock crawling or mud bogging, though I have a lot of respect for the guys who can build their vehicles to such extremes.

So, I began thinking... How would I build an XJ to be an expedition vehicle? It would have to be very at home on the street and the highway, but still be far more capable off road than stock. What would I upgrade for the sake of reliability? I'm thinking of a low lift, with large tires... 31's or 32's on a 3" lift.

Ideas???

geoff

Arb's front and rear. D44 rear / super 30 or 44 front.

Dual alternators, dual battereys, on board air. Lights, freezer fridge, big bumpers, front and rear winches, cargo rack, spare tire rack (preferrably for two tires) Gerry can rack for two 5 gal cans (either gas or water), on board welder, GPS navagation, rack for pioneer tools (axe shovel etc.) hi-lift jack, full internal cage, oil pan skids, 5 point harnesses.

Suspension 4.5 or 5.5 lift. 33 inch mild mud/all terrain tires.

Inside, food for expedidtion plus 3 days, spare axles, spare u-joints, spare belts/hoses, enough fluids to completely change everything (engine oil, diffs, tranny, t-case, antifreeze), camping gear, WATER, tire kit, fire extinguishers, first ait and trauma kit, tools, extra clothes....

When I get the time, I love going on long solo trips. No technical wheeling at all. But easy off road adventures. Like driving the old pony express route from Salt Lake City to Moab, or the old Railroad beds from Reno, NV to Wendover, NV (right on the border). Expeditioms are a blast. However, it is better to be in groups. 2 or 3 Well built backcountry rigs in a group are awesome for exploring like that.

Last edited:
Karl gave a great shopping list. Just a few things I'd add...

Add a full float option to the rear axle. Break a shaft, remove peices, lock it with the ARB/OX/whatever, winch out of the obstacle that gave problems, continue on till repairs can be made. A portable air tank with quick connect for the ARBs would be worth having - just in case.

Choose a lift combination that will give the best ride possible. Being XJ specific that pretty much means either drop brackets or long arms. Even with heavy radiusing of the fenders you will still likely need some lift for 32s - 33s to fit. Also, water crossings do need some height under the "frame" rails. Don't be afraid to add ~5" of lift, just do it properly.

If I had my time over again I'd start with a different platform I think. Rear space is cramped for passengers and for the same money for building an XJ a used Mercedes Galendewagen or Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 / Lexus LX450 could be had with the same equipment from the factory (the absence of LR Discovery on that short list is intentional, btw). And that's with me doing all the wrenching/welding. Just add a mild lift and 35s and go. They are considerably larger vehicles though. Depends on where your excursions take you I guess.

I've got so much into my XJ now I'm looking at repositioning the rear bench for added rear leg room. I REALLY like the XJ, just wish the rear seat area was larger. Live and learn.

KarlVP said:
Arb's front and rear. D44 rear / super 30 or 44 front.

Dual alternators, dual battereys, on board air. Lights, freezer fridge, big bumpers, front and rear winches, cargo rack, spare tire rack (preferrably for two tires) Gerry can rack for two 5 gal cans (either gas or water), on board welder, GPS navagation, rack for pioneer tools (axe shovel etc.) hi-lift jack, full internal cage, oil pan skids, 5 point harnesses.

Suspension 4.5 or 5.5 lift. 33 inch mild mud/all terrain tires.

Inside, food for expedidtion plus 3 days, spare axles, spare u-joints, spare belts/hoses, enough fluids to completely change everything (engine oil, diffs, tranny, t-case, antifreeze), camping gear, WATER, tire kit, fire extinguishers, first ait and trauma kit, tools, extra clothes....

When I get the time, I love going on long solo trips. No technical wheeling at all. But easy off road adventures. Like driving the old pony express route from Salt Lake City to Moab, or the old Railroad beds from Reno, NV to Wendover, NV (right on the border). Expeditioms are a blast. However, it is better to be in groups. 2 or 3 Well built backcountry rigs in a group are awesome for exploring like that.

I would do an external cage instead since it would be easier to mount your gear onto it. The factory raingutters and roof rack rails blow ass and USUALLY have a weight limit of 165 lbs (if you were to place a Thule or Yakima set up on them with only two load bars). If you make your exo cage properly you can use it to take all the weight and also make a bitchin rear tire carrier and a place on the roof for the second spare. The 'pioneer' tools can be mounted to the sides of the XJ on the exo as well as the Gerry cans. I think the Defender 90s are one this way.

The full float rear axle makes sense but definitly not a 44. I'd use a 35 spline 9" or something with more beef. Expedition set ups can very heavy.

Last edited:
97+ with the 29 spline 8.25 rear.
3.5" lift, 32" MT/R, ARB's/4.56, and bumper/winch.

It'll be fine - I'd rather be wheeling than building the eternal project vehicle. Especially when it's not needed.

Not Cherokee related, but interesting reads nonetheless:

http://www.4x4wire.com/mercedes/nnw/intro.htm

http://www.turtleexpedition.com/

Also, years back, I read in one of the 4x4 rags about a couple of brothers who set up their Cherokees to transport needed supplies to remote locations in Central or South America (can't remember which now).

I can't seem to locate anything about them on the Web, but I remember one interesting feature of their Cherokees. Specifically, they waterproofed (sealed) the insides and installed bilge pumps to remove any water coming in. Depending on where you planned to expedition, something like that might be real handy.

Plus, seems like I came across a group of 4x4 owners on-line once that focused more on expedition (small-scale) type adventures, as opposed to trail riding/rock-crawling. Might do some googling around and see if you can locate them.

One last thing: Personally, I think that GoJeep's rig is pretty well set up for the kind of thing that you are thinking about. Should check out his site, if you haven't already.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/

K.

JAS said:

Great rig!!
It could wheel with the guy in this great story about an Aussie Expedition in an Iron Pig.
http://www.kempen.id.au/CANNING.htm

The only thing I haven't read that I'd do is put water in 6" sch 80 PVC pipes over the rain gutters both sides about 5' - 6' long, with at least screens to filter the fill water, and simple spigots to drain when you want water. Maybe a shower nozzle as well! Know the volume so you can add the right amount of water treatment juice when needed. Also some kind of pump to fill from surface water, could also be a high tech water filter in line.

Last edited:
cracker said:
The full float rear axle makes sense but definitly not a 44. I'd use a 35 spline 9" or something with more beef. Expedition set ups can very heavy.

Agreed but finding/building something exotic like a full float 35 spline Ford 9" for an expedition XJ may not be the best route.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that axle width would be stockish for an XJ built for expeditions. The only 9" "bolt-on" option (i.e. easy to replicate) that I can think of that would be close would be an early Bronco 9" with WARN FF kit. Break a shaft and you can get WARN to ship a replacement shaft to the nearest town easy enough. If it is a custom axle that can add issues (time? right length? right spline count?) to delivery, etc.

It's a bit of expectation levels and intended usage in the mix but worth pointing out for this type of build nonetheless.

Besides, a FF Dana 44 should be strong enough to deal with any large loads and/or towing that an XJ can safely deal with. If you are overloading a full float Dana 44 in this application I'd suggest the entire platform is not suitable for what you want to do with the vehicle.

$0.02

I have some pictures of an Expedition-readyToyota FJ55 from Vintage Off-Road. If anyone wants to see them PM me and I'll send 'em out.

I wanted to build one, but parts are getting hard to come by and they get REALLY terrible mileage!

Fish'nCarz said:
I have some pictures of an Expedition-readyToyota FJ55 from Vintage Off-Road. If anyone wants to see them PM me and I'll send 'em out.

I wanted to build one, but parts are getting hard to come by and they get REALLY terrible mileage!

I'll take some images (PM to follow).

When I was looking at a vehicle to build this is one reason why I discounted the FJ60 and FJ80 at the time - gas mileage. In retrospect...

Mind you, a FJ55/60/62 with "modern" drivetrain (SBC, 700R4, NV case) should get pretty good mileage compared to stock. We got the FJ60 and FJ62 up here with the diesel - both 4 cyl and 6 cylinder variants IIRC. I dunno if a 55 would be a good expedition truck given the age. Depends on what you are prepared to put up with I guess.

Highly recommend reading Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide by Sheppard.

His recommendations go against the grain of lots of mods, which we really want to do. Being a brit, it is somewhat slanted in its approach and some of his ideas I dont completely buy, but there is no doubt he has BTDT. Every nut and bolt is weighed and prioritized, no huge tires and lights (we REALLY want that stuff).

My opinion is leaning in the direction of trailers. You will not be able to carry all that spare stuff, and your gear, and your consumables for more than a few days. Good off-road trailer to handle the weight and can disconnect at stopovers for lightweight local driving. His expeditions had a heavy truck to haul the heavy gear along with the light vehicles.

01XJer said:
Also, years back, I read in one of the 4x4 rags about a couple of brothers who set up their Cherokees to transport needed supplies to remote locations in Central or South America (can't remember which now).

I can't seem to locate anything about them on the Web, but I remember one interesting feature of their Cherokees. Specifically, they waterproofed (sealed) the insides and installed bilge pumps to remove any water coming in. Depending on where you planned to expedition, something like that might be real handy.

It was Petersons. I have them all from the last 15 years. I'll try to look which one it was in.

Matt

hadfield4wd said:
It was Petersons. I have them all from the last 15 years. I'll try to look which one it was in.

Matt

If you can find that, I'd be interested in hearing how they managed to waterproof the electrics - internal and underhood! I've been kicking that idea around for a little while, and I'd like to see how it's been done...

5-90

5-90 said:
If you can find that, I'd be interested in hearing how they managed to waterproof the electrics - internal and underhood! I've been kicking that idea around for a little while, and I'd like to see how it's been done...

5-90

I'll look over the weekend. My wife has them catalogued by date in the attic.

Matt

01XJer said:

K.

These maybe???
exp4_jpg.jpg

belize2_jpg.jpg

belize5_jpg.jpg

I recall the site having some writup on the rigs, but I can't find it there now.

www.sonsofthunder4x4.com

Good find Capt. Nemo. Those are the ones that I was looking for.

I checked the Sons of Thunder Web site, but couldn't come up with anything. They must have taken down that older information at some point.

K.

Back