• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 vs. NP231

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
Some background first:

I have a 93 XJ with 4.5" lift and 33x12.5 BFG MT's. It's an auto with a lockrighted 8.25 in the back and an open D30 non-disco up front and a NP231 right now.

This winter was my first with the lift and big MT's... up here we get long winters and I was using my XJ as my DD (and I plan to next winter as well). The MT's are great offroad, but on our icy and snowy roads, they really blow. I found myself needing 4wd more and more as winter went on. I would generally drop it into 4hi to pull through slick corners and to start me off at intersections. However, the roads aren't always slick so I'd be popping it in and out of 4wd a LOT when there's icy patches and dry patches of road. It got quite annoying for being a DD.

So now I have the opportunity to get a NP242 for $80, or for free if I trade my 231 in. I would love the fulltime 4wd next winter, but I'm wondering if it's really worth it or not... what's all involved in doing the 231 to 242 swap? Linkage, driveshafts?

Note: I do not plan to go bigger then 33's ion the forseeable future... At least until I can afford a shiny new JK and this thing stops being my DD and can become a dedicated trail rig.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mark

you didn't mention the miles on your rig but my .02 , if the chain isnt worn, keep the 231.

Sorry, I have 485 000km's on it right now. The Tcase though is from my donor jeep I had stored in my driveway that only had 200 000km's on it. So I have 2 NP231's... the 480 000km one had a stretched chain and I was going to do a wide chain conversion on it so it's sitting in my garage right now and the 200 000km one is fine and under my XJ right now.

try ditching the MTs in the snow. works great off road, but that tire sucks in the snow and ice. you will want a tire for the winter with lots of edges to "bite" into the snow and slick ice. an AT type tire is better than MT in the snow. if you have them siped (sp) where they cut small slits in the tread it greatly increases winter (and overall) traction of the tire. since you are that far north you may also want to look into a studded tire for the winter. i know two different sets of tires can be a hastle, but that can be the nature of the beast at times.

i do feel your pain though. i bought a set of 32s in MT/Rs and they sucked this last winter. my pickup has Big O XT's and it was wonderful in alot worse conditions. hopefully i can find a used set of them for cheap to throw on the xj.

hth
stewie

The 242 is a nice t-case for a daily driver in inclement weather. It's more complex and doesn't have as high of a torque rating as the 231, but you can still get a SYE for it.

I have a 231 in my 98' dd and would like to swap in a 242 in the future, granted I live in Sacramento, CA and the weather doesn't get as bad as other areas of the country, but I've had the 242 in other vehicles and really like it.

Troy

I would do a search on the 242. I remember seeing swaps as well as other opinions. I happen to have 3 242's, one in each, 90 XJ, 92 XJ and 97 ZJ. All are DD's at the moment and I would not trade any of them out. With an auto, I don't think they are as prone to breakage as some would lead you to believe.

Once you go 242, you'll never go back. I've got the 242 in my XJ and the 231 in my moms KJ and while both have been rock solid reliable, it's just like you mentioned, having to switch a 231 in and out of 4hi because you hit spots on the road that are clear and some that arent REALLY becomes a pain. 242, just set it in full time and forget about it.

Not to mention the 242 comes in real handy when you're tires have become racing slicks and you're driving in the rain.....atleast it's come in real handy for me in this case :D

I used to live in Georgia and the hills in the winter were hard to climb unless you had 4WD so when it became a little slick I put the 242 in fulltime and it stayed until spring. The only drawback I noticed was a decrease in gas mileage, but traction was a no brainer. I'll take a 242 over a 231 any day of the week.

Try axing the loc-rite for the next winter. My CJ would go anywhere in 2WD except on pavement in snow/ice. 'Had to put it in 4WD to keep it from trying to swap ends. You will have this problem with ANY full time locker. They're known for it.

Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm gonna do a bit more research, but it looks like I'll be going for the 242. For $80 I'll probably just keep my 231's and buy the 242.

I'm going to hunt up what all I need to do this swap but I'm assuming I'll need driveshafts from an auto XJ with the 242? or will my driveshafts work? Are the 2 cases different lengths?

Back