• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating Question

xjrrrdx

NAXJA Forum User
Lets see here, just a little history. About 4 months ago I replaced the following: rad, water pump, tstat, fan clutch, and new hoses. I replaced them with: CSF 3 row, regular duty new (not refurb) water pump, 180* tstat, regular duty fan clutch, and a B&M tranny cooler. One thing I didnt do was have a full flush and fill, i just drained it. It has always run a little warm since, about the 0 on the 210 not any higher. Its gotten a lot hotter lately and on the last trip we were heading up the mountains and about 2700rpms I see the temp increasing slowly. About 3 mins later its near the red (AC was not on). I blast the heat and start to pull over but the temp goes down back to the 210 after about a minute or two. I keep driving and there it goes again. If i stay under 2500rpms its fine, over it will just keep heating up. I get to the trail and 3/4 of the time on the trail my electric fan is on just keeping the temp around 215-220. I was up there for 5 hours and the fan was literally on 4.5 hours.

Any ideas?? I was told to look at my oil pump, AC condenser, and hoses and such. And also look into getting some hoot vents.

(my jeep has been a bi&^h lately!)

Does the lower rad hose have a spring in it ? if not it might be collapsing and starving the system, factory OEM hoses have the spring already in them...
Also what year ?

first, I would start with fresh coolant. that's always a good starting point. It's always best to use distilled water (sell it at supermarkets) to mix with the coolant, because it wont' have any minerals or anything in there. Minerals in regular tap water, while they help the taste, aren't so good for the coolant system. You also may want to flush the system out with some distilled water or some rad flush stuff. ***please dispose of waste properly*** If you look into the block you'll notice a coating of greenish junk on the sides of everything. while it's not the end of the world most of the time, it doesn't help heat transfer.

second, get a factory temp Tstat...mixed results with 180degree ones.

third, are you positive that you burped the system properly when you filled it back up?? If you leave a little air in there, it will heat up a whole lot and ruin the Tstat right away. If you get a tstat from the dealer, it has a little weep hole for the air that you locate at the top, so if air is in there, it escapes right away, and doesn't heat the Tstat up too much and ruin it.

I've got a 96 XJ with 3.55, 32s and the original radiator. It's got a new factory Tstat and fresh coolant that I mixed with distilled water. I was on the trail all day saturday(NH) and sunday(MA) and we're in a heat wave!!! (damn I was wishing I had no roof or doors!) Occasionally the temp would go to like 220, but the fan kicked it down. The electric fan was running alot. Expect this in the summer when it's hot out and you're wheeling. As long as it's not getting too far past the middle, you should be alright. I plan on getting little spacers to raise the back of my hood up a bit and let some of that heat out, but right now after the beating my jeep took this weekend I'd say that the stock 96 system is still working prety well for me.

Actually, come to think of it, the fan runs alot while wheeling in the winter too. Atleast it's doing it's job!!

Having the same symptoms with my 96
everything in the cooling system has been replaced in last 6 months
crawl speed with my electric fan running I am fine I have a overide relay so I can run the fan whenever
occasionally going down the road it heats up
Finally decided to replace the lower hose had not done that yet
I think that took care of my problem of low and slow flow
and you do not have to get the spring loaded hose at the dealer
Orielys only other place I can find it I beleive the # 82605 $9 and change
they had two... a gates hose ($15) without the spring and a off brand with it ($9) go figure
I compared the two they appear to be equal in quality with the exception being that the lesser will not collapes

I have a 96 XJ. I dont remember if the hose has the spring or not. When I get paid ill take a look at it. And I think I may spring for a more powerful electric fan. How many CFMs does a stock electric put out??

anyone replaced the stock fans?

ive got my e-fan on a switch so i can true it on whenever

but i was thinging would it be worth getting rid of the motor driven fan and going for an eletric one

-nick

Funny I have the same problem. The only way to get the temp down is to turn on the heater. Please follow up with any other ideas.

92 xj
5" lift 31's
open front
lock rite in the rear

Bo

xjrrrdx said:
I have a 96 XJ. I dont remember if the hose has the spring or not. When I get paid ill take a look at it. And I think I may spring for a more powerful electric fan. How many CFMs does a stock electric put out??
Just squeeze it...if you can't you got a spring if you can colapse it then you don't

I took a look while getting ready for work. Should both ends have the spring. Or just the end going to the block?? Either way neither end had any sort of spring and I could squeeze both ends. If I remember I could squeeze the block side much easier.

xjrrrdx said:
I took a look while getting ready for work. Should both ends have the spring. Or just the end going to the block?? Either way neither end had any sort of spring and I could squeeze both ends. If I remember I could squeeze the block side much easier.

The spring should go through the whole hose so it's the middle you should be more concerned about. If you need one I just called around to different dealers around Denver and in the end the jeep dealer on South Broadway in Englewood was the cheapest, $15 plus tax. Beat the one up in Thornton which wanted twice that.

Also check out this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91422
It's the overheating stroker thread but lots of good info in there and it more or less applies to us non-strokers as well.

I am still battling my overheating issue, if I come up with a cure and it's something you haven't tried I'll be sure to post it.

don't pay more than $15 for it
that is what my D/C dealer gets for them
check your local parts houses first you may get lucky and save $5
spring should go from end to end

Well I got a new hose and put it in and the same problem. I am going to take it to get flushed and filled and see if that helps.

Right now I've got a 50-50 mix of white vinegar and distilled water running through my coolant system with hopes of accomplishing the same. This is the 2nd time i'm running this through. Next step is having a pro do it. Report back how it works (and PM me with where you get it done :D I might be looking for a shop to do the job for me)

Back