• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering "clunk"

themangeraaad

NAXJA Forum User
probably 7 months ago I installed a 3.5 in BDS suspension, using the supplied track bar relocation bracket to, well, relocate my track bar. For a while that gave me a bit of a problem as it caused a clunking since it didnt set properly and would only stay firm if tightened down alot, and then with time it would loosen again, so I just dealt with it, Now that has stopped, but if the vehicle isnt running but the key is in and turned so the steering column isnt locked, when the steering wheel is turned back and forth there is a very clear and loud clunk coming from somewhere. I have checked around and havent been able to pinpoint where it is coming from. Any recomendations? I am planning on checking the track bar ends when I get home from work, if that might be it, but otherwise any recomendations on where to look?

-Scott

themangeraaad said:
I am planning on checking the track bar ends when I get home from work, if that might be it, but otherwise any recomendations on where to look?

Sounds like a classic trackbar issue to me. If you don't find it when looking at the ends... look harder.

FWIW: I've been through a couple different track bars by now. The relocation bracket is junk, and an adjustable trackbar is only slightly better (as the frame end trackbar mount is a crappy design). In my opinion, the best (and as of yet final) solution is to replace the stock trackbar & bracket with something similar to the RE HD Trackbar & Bracket (I believe JKS has a similar setup), where the frame end mounting hardware is in double shear (vs. the single shear of the OEM design), and you are using the stock (or beefed up version) axle mounting location.

X2 the RE trac bar.
had the same problem, some knocking noise somewhere in the driver side wheel well or around the trac bar braket only when i truned the wheel to the left.....what ever, since i put in the RE trac bar havent heard a thing...then again i havent drivin it much lately either.
"full size XJ has a good deal on the RE extreme duty trac bar and RE trac bar bracket." can find him in the vendors section.
hope this helps with your problem.

Kevin's offraod makes a pretty good tracbar as well. it is fully adjustable and is very similar to the JKS product, just beefier. I was recently chasing a clunk in the front end as well, and I would also rec looking at your balljoints & tracbar bushings. Goodluck!

Thanks, Ill be checking all that out, but kinda working on a tight budget right now as I didnt have work till recently and I have to save up and put most of what I make towards school and such, but hopefully something comes up that isnt too expensive.

Scott

Back