• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission line quick disconnect

ebishop

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the lower line on a 2000. From what i understand the lower fitting is a quick disconnect, but the ears are gone. Anyone have an easy way of undoing this connection? Can the fitting in the tranny be removed without destroying it?

Thanks,

Eric

I just used a pair of pliers to squeeze those two ears together to disconnect mine. However, I was told that the appropriate tool actually disengages the fitting much further inside. I saw it and while pliers do work, the real deal would probably work with your ears being broken. I saw this at NAPA. I didn't bother with it since my lines were already off and I just had to plug them back in.

If they didn't change the connector design from '96, the tool is definitely what you need. The tool I use is labeled as a 3/8 inch Ford Fuel Line disconnect tool. You just force it down inside the connector to open the ears, and the line pops right out. The tool only cost about $7. Using pliers may damage the connector, and then you may be stuck buying the whole line.

Thanks, I will try the disconnect tool mentioned above. I have one but it was too big to disconnect the tabs inside the radiator fitting. I have a brand new line, so as long as I don't screw up the radiator, I am golden.

apsdad said:
Using pliers may damage the connector, and then you may be stuck buying the whole line.
While replacing my radiator on my '99, I did just that. Had to buy a new line. Luckily I was installing a new radiator(with tranny cooler) and didn't have to worry about getting remains (ended up cutting the line once I realized I screwed it up anyway) of the line off the old one
The tranny end just unbolts, only problem is there is very little room to do it.
I plan to buy the tool soon as my slightly tweaked control arm mounts damaged both tranny lines and need replacment.

Last edited:
Back