• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locking gas cap that clear the XJ's fuel door?

Plays For Jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up a locking cap for my moms focus and tried it on my XJ. It was too tall, the fuel door wouldn't close with the locking cap screwed on.

I believe it was a STANT. Does anyone else know of a locking gas cap brand that will fit?

It'll fit. There's a metal piece on the backside of the door that holds the cap when fueling. Just push that metal piece flat.

I have pulled stant locking gas caps off a ton of 99 and newer vehicles,mostly due to check engine lamps, usually get codes for small or large leak in evap system,they don't seal properly around the lock cylinder.Most shops have a tester for pressurizing fuel tanks and checking gas caps for pressure and leaks.

I've got a 96 that I just bought that has a locking gas cap. If I believe correctly the metal deals that hold the cap are still there. Dont know what brand it is. I'll check tomorrow.

Instead of starting a new thread...

Anyone else know of a good locking gas cap that won't cause the CEL to come on? Figure I better pick one up before gas prices go back up.....

Thanks!

Back