• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get a cat flange!!??

jacked

NAXJA Forum User
i have a universal cat that i need to install on the xj, its a dynomax high flow. i need the 4 bolt flange like the stock converter to weld onto this universal one, can anyone give me any info on where to find one or at least the bolt dimensions? the cat is 2.5" by the way.

thanks

I've only ever used one universal, never again, I cut the old cat off and welded the old 2" section on the new cat, real PIA. From then I always bought the direct replacement. I imagine just about any parts store should have them. I have one parts store locally that has like an entire row of baskets with almost any imaginable bend, connector, collector adapter, etc.
Damn, there goes the power again, back on UPS's...

It's an install kit for a universal cat converter, and comes with a few extra parts that you don't need, but has a welded flange on a short piece of 2.25" pipe. Order it from AutoZone, not Advance Auto....it's $9 cheaper :)

Maremont part #30173 (the clamps are crap....toss them and get a set of HD ones, or get it welded)

Jeff

20070121_0059.jpg

jacked said:
i have a universal cat that i need to install on the xj, its a dynomax high flow. i need the 4 bolt flange like the stock converter to weld onto this universal one, can anyone give me any info on where to find one or at least the bolt dimensions? the cat is 2.5" by the way.

thanks

so those dynomax cats are 2.5"? Thats pretty sweet I was looking @ those but wasn't sure.

Jeff in VA said:
It's an install kit for a universal cat converter, and comes with a few extra parts that you don't need, but has a welded flange on a short piece of 2.25" pipe. Order it from AutoZone, not Advance Auto....it's $9 cheaper :)

Maremont part #30173 (the clamps are crap....toss them and get a set of HD ones, or get it welded)

Jeff

And that flange is the same size as the existing one? I've been cutting flanges off of the OEM cats and having a pipe stub welded to them... I'll have to look into that.

i would have ordered a direct fit cat but i could not find any that were high flow, so this was my only option. the down pipe just before the cat is 2.25" correct?

oh and for the dynomax cats being 2.5", some are some arent, you just have to find which one you want, i ordered a short one, 2.5" in/out, 14" overall length. i have a 2.5" system from cat back so this new cat will fit right in once i figure out the flange, ill probly pick up that one from autozone and use a coupler. if it was my choice i wouldnt even put in this new cat but mine is punched out and it needs to go through emissions sooo.

I got a bolt on MagnaFlow. I forgot the part number but is the same as the "less expensive" universal Magnaflow just with the flange attached. Here is a pic next to my shattered Random cat.

post-32-1174074764.jpg

I was looking at the universal one and the install kit listed above but found this to be just more convenient. Just a few more bucks over all. The exit tube I know is 2 1/4 on this one.

Yes, it’s 2.25”. This is the second OEM cat that the flange has broken on my MJ, and I got tired of replacing the whole cat for the sake of a cheesy flange. I found this “kit” after a lot of searching online, but had to end up ordering it in person. $22 from autozone vs. $31 at Advance.

I just have it clamped temporarily with some HD clamps, because I’m redoing the exhaust from the muffler back shortly and will have to reposition things when I do. Once it’s all where I want it, I’ll get it welded up. The only extra thing I needed was that short 2.25" double female connector there.

Jeff

20070121_0061.jpg

20070121_0063.jpg

Anybody else have any additional sources for the flange -- with or without the short pipe.

Gasket too. Thanks.

Napa doesn't show a price for the flange. No price, no order.

Jeff

20070121_0059.jpg

Can anyone else find this? I think I've searched everywhere, and I can't.

A good local exhaust shop should be able to do what you need.

Back