• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Died on highway...wont restart

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
We had ALOT of rain here the last two days, neighbor was flooding so i went to go help him out.

1/2 mile from my house i'm running along at about 45mph and it just died.

Cranks strong but no run. Has fuel by checking the schrader valve,swapped a few relays in distribution block, nothing underhood appeared to have gotten wet. Disconnected the CPS.

It was showing symptoms of longer starts recently, but i am due for plugs,cap and rotor which i'll do tomorrow.

The coil and CPS have about 50K and were swapped in 00, just before i bought it. I am real suspect of the CPS...but is it common for these to go while running?

TIA

Thats how my CPS died. Running 60mph on cruse control and it flat lined. Check for spark, if there isnt any then try a new CPS.

Swapped in a Wells brand CPS, still no start.

Anyone know if an ignition module from a 96 is compatible with a 94?

Are there any fuses that would allow the Jeep to crank but not start? I have fuel pressure by depressing the schrader valve.

Now before you say the cps wasn't the culprit, did you crank it for a long time with no start. Most likely you wet fouled the plugs. Put in a cheap set of Champions before you do anything else.

Take a look at the wire that comes from the coil to the distributor. Mine crapped out a while ago, but I could clean up the contacts and get it to start a few times.

I would also pull the distributor cap and see how the contacts look.

96 is OBDII I'm pretty sure, 94 don't know but the ECU is probably different. Lookup the part numbers for ecu's for both years.

Tom, although i didnt crank it over long i said what the hell and swapped the plugs just now...still no go. They had a faint fuel smell but were dry.

New cap and rotor also installed since problem started, i'll check the wiring harness in a sec.

Rich, yep the 96 is OBDII and my 94 is OBDI...thats why i was asking if it made difference. Guess i could call BMo but i'd hate to bother him with this. I'm alone here at home...how can i check for spark?..dont have a remote starter.

find the starter relay, and make a jumper to get 12V to the solenoid.
not too familiar with your PDC under the hood.

Looking at the Q-Tech catalogs for aftermarket ignition coils it lists the same part# for 91-99 4.0L's, with 98-99 needing a harness adaptor.

I have an ACCEL coil on the spare 96 motor that i'm going to swap on.

Back