• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure

4x4life05

NAXJA Forum User
I tried to search it but still have much to learn:

I need to know what I guess you would say is the average for my oil pressure, what should it be running at?

Thanks

All 4 of our jeeps, 4.0's and 2.5's, all mobil-1 10W30, Mobil-1 filters.
50lbs cold at idle
45-50 hot hiway
20 hot idle
Filter has alot to do with pressure, Frams have had issues.
The only filters I use are Mobil-1 or K&N, occasionaly a Mopar OEM.

mine runs about 60 idle and running then drops to about 30 idle and 50 driving after its been running for a while i use mobil 1 filters and high mileage mobil one

xj9687 said:
mine runs about 60 idle and running then drops to about 30 idle and 50 driving after its been running for a while i use mobil 1 filters and high mileage mobil one

That sounds a bit high if you ask me....

My 4.0, running Mobil 1 10W-30 and a Napa Gold filter has a cold oil pressure of 50 at idle, just a hair over 50 when cold driving, and 20 at hot idle with 45-50 high driving. Pretty much identical to RichP's.

Mine used to drop down to like maybe 2 or 3psi as hot idle in drive. Replaced the oil pump last night it drop sdown to like 22 psi at hot idle now. Cold and 3000RPM I have like 75PSI. I'm using 10w30 synthetic.

So one of the above replies may have answered my ? my pressure is at 19 at hot idle and only goes up to 21-22 at highway speed could this be the fram filter I am running or do you think this is another problem. I just did a gauge cluster swap and used the oil press switch out of the donor vehical im thinking that it could be on its way out ...........What do you guys think...

I would definitely dump the fram. The hot idle (read: after the engine has been running quite some time, such as getting off of a highway trip) sounds good (mine hovers b/w 19-20 depending on how hot it is outside and how long of a trip i've been on), but the driving is WAY low....hot driving pressure should be around 45-50.

Dump the fram and go from there. Mobil 1, K&N (more expensive) and Napa Gold (made by Wix) are all great filters. Personally, I run Napa Gold in mine....the one I just bought last Friday cost me $6.50 with tax.

Thanx for the info I will definatly be changing it and its a good thing my oil change is due in a couple hundred miles........Once again 99xjsport06 thanx.......

Not a problem.

I've seen what fram's can do to a 4.0....my old boss ran them on his 98 4.0 and when I was doing some NSS work on it one day, it had some low low pressure.

I would actually try a NAPA gold filter but the NAPA stores here keep bankers hours so to me they are useless and I'm not about to drive 25mi round trip on a sat morning and burn up a gallon or so of gas.

Plays For Jeeps said:
^Fantastic, I JUST replaced my oil yesterday with a FRAM High Mileage filter.

I guess I need to buy a Mobil-1 and keep it till shes due again.

Keep a close eye on your pressure. If it begins to show lower than normal, go ahead and spin a new filter on, and top it off with oil. Some people run nothing but fram with no problems, others have problems the minute they run one. I've seen the pressure difference between two healthy 4.0's, one with a Napa Gold and one with a Fram, and I didn't like what I saw.

Mobil-1 10w30. K&N or Napa Gold, same results: 50-60 cold start up. 45-60 driving, hot idle is about 30-35.

my sender/gauge has been doing funny things lately

Back