• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rev light short ?

mojojojo

NAXJA Forum User
here is a short background....

my NSS was not working, after !!!1 3 months figured out it was just the tranny fuse. (thanks again NAXJA). anyway, now i want to install after market reverse lights. i get em' all wired up and they work great.....then the fuse blows, and again, and again and again. so i unhook the after market lights and the fuse seems to hold fine. does this mean the short is in the new lights? or .....?

:dunce:dumb ? maybe, but i suck at electrical crap! :idea:

help a brother out, pleeeeease.

It sounds like your aftermarket back up lights are pulling too much current. You could wire up a relay and have it switched by the back up lights and in turn have it power up your aftermarkets lights.

HTH
Paul

That's about what I would do.

I know that the OEM circuit (on RENIX, anyhow. AMC tends to overbuild...) will handle 50W small bulbs just fine - but if you're going to add on reversing lights, you'll want to run a relay.

Run power down the side sill to a convenient point (the passenger sill usually has more room.) Wire up pin 86 on the relay to the stock reverse lamp wiring, wire pin 85 to ground. Wire pin 30 up to the power source, and pin 87 to your accessory. Don't forget the fuse!

The relay will engage when the reverse lamps are powered on by the NSS, and permit power to flow to the added lamps. The DIN relay is usually good for 30A, or ~360W - so one or two 50W bulbs aren't a problem (and 2x 50W = 100W / 12 = 8.333A - use a 10A fuse for two bulbs. If you're unsure about what you should have in circuit, simply take the bulb wattage and divide by 12VDC nominal voltage - that gives you amps. Select the next higher fuse rating that is available.)

rod you gotta bounce em thru a relay, use the power wire from the reverse lights as the switch lead to the relay.

I just did all mine this weekend, 6 lights, and a fan, boy im tired of wires, haha.

where is the power source for the relay coming from? and how big is the relay. If you're pulling power to the relay from an existing fused link in the jeep, chances are its too much draw. All of my power sources for my relay are direct to the battery

side note: hey go check out my Oregon Rally prep thread in the NW chapter, i finished everything up.

Last edited:
Back