• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear springs

74charger

NAXJA Forum User
my 99's rear springs seem to have negative arch on them. Is this something to freak out about, or is it one of those things that happen to all cherokee's? Thanks

74charger said:
my 99's rear springs seem to have negative arch on them. Is this something to freak out about, or is it one of those things that happen to all cherokee's? Thanks

Stock springs are pretty notoriouly weak. On my 2001, they were gone by about 85,000 miles. The 2000 held up better, but it was specced with both Up-Country and the towing packages, which give heavier-duty springs.

If you don't want to lift but do want better springs, I'd recommend a set of the Up-Country ones. Yeah, they will lift it about an inch over stock - but it's no enough that you'll really notice, and they are beefier (read: OK for a DD) than the standard ones. Quadratec has them (start here to figure out what you need) and their prices are relatively reasonable.

Also, if you do decide to go the Up-Country route, bear in mind that you'll also want to do the front springs (which are probably also shot) unless you don't mind it sitting slightly nose-down. Could be useful if you haul a lot of cargo, though.

Last edited:
okay, I have a question about the listing in quadratec. they have the standard, HD and HD (LK) what does the LK stand for? and I am new to this site, but on dodgecharger.com, there is a way to just push 'new replies' cause right now I am searching for my last post.

thanks

I just bought a pack from a 2000 model year and mixed-n-matched them with some from another 96 model year I had laying around. Ended up around 1" over stock I think, maybe a hair more.
I kept the stock main leaf since they are almost impossible to remove on a midwest rig. Ended up with a 4 leaf pack, might add another.

The stock ones in my 91 were almost on the bump stops unloaded.

74charger said:
okay, I have a question about the listing in quadratec. they have the standard, HD and HD (LK) what does the LK stand for?

No idea. Might want to give them a call and find out.

and I am new to this site, but on dodgecharger.com, there is a way to just push 'new replies' cause right now I am searching for my last post.

- Go to the thread you're interested in.

- Just above the first post in the thread, there'll be a row with four options in it towards the right: Thread Tools, Search this Thread, Rate Thread, and Display Modes.

- Click on Thread Tools; in the menu that appears, select 'Subscribe to Thread'.

You can then figure out what sort of notification you want, etc.

LK is the spring rate.. The other HD springs from quadratec are LT, and have a Jeep cross referenced PN to what would be found in an 'up-country' version of the XJ.

what I ment by the New replies was you could click on the thing for you're posts new replies. I want something as far as springs go that will hold up for a long time.

74charger said:
okay, I have a question about the listing in quadratec. they have the standard, HD and HD (LK) what does the LK stand for? and I am new to this site, but on dodgecharger.com, there is a way to just push 'new replies' cause right now I am searching for my last post.

thanks
I argued with them about that, look at the part numbers. One of them is the same as the standard leaf spring. The different one is the 'real' heavy duty and the one you probally want.
Apparently the employees see their website differently or something, because they kept telling me they only have 2 different ones. I said you have 3 listed but 2 have the same part number, apparently the guy either couldn't see it or he was blind (or stupid). Thats the only time I have ever had a problem with thier customer service however.

Last edited:
Just take out the bottom most and smallest leafs, and pop in a Rusty's 2" full-length add-a-leaf pack......that's what I did and it brought my rear end back up to stock height!

LK - I always thought that was Lift Kit, oh well, live and learn.

Some Rusty's 3.5" lifts was what it took on mine.

About 2 bills, and a true 3.5" of lift

Here's my rear springs, before & after.

BEFORE.jpg

The rocking chair is where I sit and contemplate my next move.

AFTER.jpg

...and they ride smoother too!!

From Rigid Steel...

Rear Leaf Springs

The rear springs listed all interchange. The difference is in their load rating. There is a code someitimes either stamped into one of the rear leafs or it may be a Tag. That code is the load rating. The codes are and have a meaning as follows:
LL - 3-1/8" free arch, load rating 405
LM - 5-5/8" free arch, load rating 605 (This one is the most popular)
LS - 6" free arch, load rating 675
LT - 7" free arch, load rating 755

http://www.rigidsteel.com/y131pC3tIGk0.html

HTH

ParadiseXJ said:
Here's my rear springs, before & after]

That's nothing, my rear sits almost an inch lower then stock ... with 1.5" lift shackles. You can probally imagine what that looks like :gee:. I really need to get around to installing those new springs, just wanted to get an s10 pack to experiment with first.
I have learned my lesson about cheapness though ... well, probally not really.
:D

I like the idea of getting the up country front and rear springs, but with shocks for the stock hight, on now, would I need to get new ones? The ones I have are only a year old.

How hard is it to replace the front and rear springs? I know I need a spring compressor but besides that?

89 Renix 4L D35 np231. If the new springs gave me a little lift would this effect my drivetran in any bad way?

bobmarly123 said:
How hard is it to replace the front and rear springs? I know I need a spring compressor but besides that?

This is one thing that a Chiltons or Haines manuel will actually help on :wow:(If you have one). If not I can tell you how to do it. Its easy. Well the rear is easy the front can be well... fun at least it was for me.
-Sam

Back