• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

failing AC compressor, can i just remove the belt and go without AC?

kshbaja

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ sport

i have what i believe is an AC compressor with failing bearings. the compressor makes a horrible grumbling sound, even when not engaged. before this it used to squeal loudly when turned on. since i dont have time to mess with it now, and i don't mind not having AC until i can fix it, i was wondering if i could just remove the belt to the compressor and drive with it disconnected?

I believe that is a serpentine belt which drives other things, like the water pump. You will need another belt to replace it - the parts store will not have a clue how long it is. You will need to use a flat tape, like a seamstress tape, and measure how long the belt is eliminating that pulley.

I deal with this daily right now - Dorman has not made a compressor pulley substitute for Jeep that I am aware of.

This also implies you will remove the compressor - don't if the belt will run around it ok. You want to keep your system closed up as long as possible to reduce water corrosion internally. Once you're ready to install a new compressor the accumulator will need changing out to get a warranty and also to get new dessicant. The parts store may insist on a flush to insure removal of compressor flakes which will ruin the new one if left in - and void the warranty.

Hopefully the clutch bearing is all that is bad - although it's almost as much to fix it as the whole compressor reman.

It's going to be 101 here today and it's A/C season. I wish mine worked.

Back