• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What scan tools do you use?

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of buying a scanner for my 2001, but don't know which one to get. I sorta like a Snap-on Tools scanner I saw on ebay, and there were a couple of programs that run on a laptop or PDA, as well as a bunch of self-contained scanners for under $200. Any opinions?

I have a pretty basic Actron one which pulls and clears codes. It works fine. What it does not do, at least on my wife's Volvo, is pull and clear ABS and some other non-engine codes. I don't know if some of the more sophisticated ones do that. I got it at Sears, don't remember exact price but it was in the hundred-buck range. Definitely a must-have, I think, on these newfangled rigs that throw a code for anything from a loose gas cap to a sucked valve or anything in between.

I have an actron I picked up at AA a year or two ago, has come in handy, I think it was either $149 or $249, I forget now. I've used it on the XJ, TJ's, Olds, neighbors borrow it once in a while, one of those handy things to have. Came with a CD too for installation on a pc for quick lookups...

Do any of these scan tools work for a '94 (OBDI)? If not, can anyone recommend a low-cost scanner (if any exist for Chrysler OBDI systems) to read real-time information from the computer?

Do any of these doo-hickeys let you adjust timing, or otherwise mess with the 'tuning' of the engine, or let you play around with the transmission settings? I'd like to figure out if I can set the jeep up in more of a 'fuel economy' mode for on-road driving and then a 'performance' mode for off-road.

only one i've used on my 92 is the snapon scanner and it works amazing. i'm parts pro at AAP and we use an actron 9135 that scans/displays/clears codes. it's a really nice scanner for the 150 dollar pricetag. you can get the cheaper versions that do the same thing, but they just display the code and leave it up to you to dig around to see what the code means.

Fish'nCarz said:
Do any of these doo-hickeys let you adjust timing, or otherwise mess with the 'tuning' of the engine, or let you play around with the transmission settings? I'd like to figure out if I can set the jeep up in more of a 'fuel economy' mode for on-road driving and then a 'performance' mode for off-road.

the snapon is bidirectional and lets you do a IAC test where you can adjust your idle up to 2000rpm, but i don't believe it saves the setting. they are just scanners/testers... not a programmer.

Fish'nCarz said:
For the most part, it's against the law to "adjust the tuning" of an engine, as doing so violates EPA regulations. The exception to this, of course, are EPROM changes that the OEM manufacturer makes as part of a recall or upgrade campaign.

oops. see below

Last edited:
AZ Jeff said:
For the most part, it's against the law to "adjust the tuning" of an engine, as doing so violates EPA regulations. The exception to this, of course, are EPROM changes that the OEM manufacturer makes as part of a recall or upgrade campaign.

Gee. I'd sure as heck hate to do that!!!!

But what I want to do is run better mileage, not make smog. It's not like I'm plotting to take over the gubmint!

I was looking into getting the EZ-scan 4000 from Auto-X-Ray (www.autoxray.com). I think I'll skip getting the OBD-I cable, because I can pull codes on my 93 XJ using the key trick. It'll work on my wife's car and my future JK :drool:

I googled (actually froogled) for it and found it for $229. Haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, though...

If it's not bidirectional save your money until you can get one that is. At the very least you want one that can read sensor input/output directly for those time where they is no code.

Back