• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power steering res. and lines?

silverslk

NAXJA Forum User
Long story short.....in an "attempt" to quit buying a quart of PS fluid a month (and messing up my landlords driveway) I figured I'd pull my lines and see which one is leaking. Broke the reservoir fitting (both were seized to tubing) and both lines at the power steering box.

Does anyone have some "spares"? Cheap?? haha. I just changed jobs and am on that 3 week NO pay plan.

BTW...How do you change the reservoir?

silverslk said:
Long story short.....in an "attempt" to quit buying a quart of PS fluid a month (and messing up my landlords driveway) I figured I'd pull my lines and see which one is leaking. Broke the reservoir fitting (both were seized to tubing) and both lines at the power steering box.

Does anyone have some "spares"? Cheap?? haha. I just changed jobs and am on that 3 week NO pay plan.

BTW...How do you change the reservoir?

Not at the moment...

To change the reservoir, you pull the pump assembly, pull the screws on the back and remove the pump from the plastic reservoir housing. Install a new O-ring on the pump body (it's big...) and insert into the new reservoir. Reinstall the screws.

For the flare nuts, a flare nut wrench is your best bet - so you don't round the damn things off. To remove the return line from the reservoir, you should slit it down the side with a SHARP utility knife. Put another slit directly opposite if it's being difficult - you shouldn't need to put more than two slits in it.

I just went digging through my parts. I can't find my spare pump (must have given it away?) but I found a box with what looks to be a good set of lines on it. You'll have to come by my parents in Fullerton and pull the lines off the box yourself, but your welcome to them. PM me with when you want to come by, so I can let my dad know to watch for you - I'm heading back up to Pasadena in a couple hours and won't be here again until next weekend.

-Cal

5-90 said:
Not at the moment...

To change the reservoir, you pull the pump assembly, pull the screws on the back and remove the pump from the plastic reservoir housing. Install a new O-ring on the pump body (it's big...) and insert into the new reservoir. Reinstall the screws.

For the flare nuts, a flare nut wrench is your best bet - so you don't round the damn things off. To remove the return line from the reservoir, you should slit it down the side with a SHARP utility knife. Put another slit directly opposite if it's being difficult - you shouldn't need to put more than two slits in it.

I didnt have a problem getting them off. Its that the nut portion was seized to the tubing portion so instead of the nut turning the WHOLE thing turns and bent the tubing and here I am.

cal said:
I just went digging through my parts. I can't find my spare pump (must have given it away?) but I found a box with what looks to be a good set of lines on it. You'll have to come by my parents in Fullerton and pull the lines off the box yourself, but your welcome to them. PM me with when you want to come by, so I can let my dad know to watch for you - I'm heading back up to Pasadena in a couple hours and won't be here again until next weekend.

-Cal

THANKS CAL !!!!

Got the lines in.....my rigging of the pump fitting didn't quite work. The fitting was too small ID compared to original and built up too much pressure blowing the rubber hose off the metal line where the hose clamp is on the return line. Still need a reservoir......:gonnablow

Last edited:
silverslk said:
THANKS CAL !!!!

Got the lines in.....my rigging of the pump fitting didn't quite work. The fitting was too small ID compared to original and built up too much pressure blowing the rubber hose off the metal line where the hose clamp is on the return line. Still need a reservoir......:gonnablow

Which is why I'd like to convert to -6AN bulkhead fitting there. I've got a reservoir, but it won't do you much good - came off of a JY pump, and it's got holes in it...

I like hydraulics to be easy to repair - saves trouble, and it's usually worth the conversion time and effort (about the first time you've got to fix it somewhere away from your toolbox...)

Back