• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Stuck" in SD, Going to Desert Sunday?

nosigma

NAXJA Member # 1371
NAXJA Member
My stay in San Diego got extended until Thursday, April 19. Since moving back to the DC area last summer I have been missing the desert & off roading there a lot. I plan on taking the rental (Ford Focus) out to Anza Borrego DSP Sunday to cruise around but......

If anyone in SD is going out Sunday I would sure love to hitch a ride.

John

It was blowing so hard out there it was miserable Sunday. You didnt miss anything. I was driving home from out there Sunday morning.

KH

How true your words are.

I didnt miss a bit of the blowing sand and dust. The Ford performed pretty well off paved roads. It has something close to a full belly pan so it slides over stuff pretty well. The clear coat is very thick and protects against desert foliage. The little PZEV motor pulls it through the deep sand (relative with 4 inches clearance) with gusto as long as you keep it wrapped up tight and maintain momentum. The cabin air filter (probably needs changed now) allowed me to run the AC most of the time and the CD player never missed a note. Ran out to the old water tank/loading dock west of the S-2, up the stage coach line to canyon sin nombre turned north up to the mud caves and then a mile or so up diablo wash. Had lunch at the Old highway cafe. Ran up to smugglers cave and considered driving/hiking to Elliot mine but I didnt have light. Good thing I didnt go there because the quake was centered close to Elliot mine and I didnt have a change of drawers with me.

John

No pics. Staying in BOQ on Naval Air Station North Island. Bringing a camera on base (going to several) is a major PIA, same with camera phones. Only XJ content is the one I saw at the Old Highway Cafe. Even the best poser shot with a Focus is going to look somewhat trite.

John

Back