• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mopar fog lights kit

thompsy

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to install oemfog lights on a 99 cherokee sport. Found an oem kit that includes everything (switch, harness, lights), for about 190$. Is this a good price? Easy to install?

Might my jeep already be wired for fogs?

Thanks for any info!

If you buy OEM you will be sorry- they rust out, retain water, and all kinds of good stuff. Aside from that, they are no better than the 19.99 square driving lights at your local parts store- except the switch mounts nice and purty like.:gee:
...but those can be had from a junkyard or the dealer if you feel so inclined.

Just curious- why do you want OEM?

91Woody said:
Just curious- why do you want OEM?

Probably the same reason I did when I got a set of OEM's, to retain that OEM look.

Sounds like you're looking at jparts.com? Thats where I got mine from....very easy to install with their instructions.

Yes, the OEM fogs arent the greatest in the world, but they're also not THAT bad. I've had mine a little over a year now with no problems, other than the occasional re-aim.

With that said, I am planning on getting a couple more lights to put on the front bumper

Jeepsareus.com = $189.95

That's a good price for the OEM light kit.

Here's my $.02:

When I bought my '00 XJ they were already rusted out.

I took them off and took them apart.
I noticed that because of a bad design that they get water in them too easily.
If you dunk them, then say bye-bye pretty soon thereafter.

I did replace them with new OEM lights, but I noticed that I could hardly tell a difference when on.

Yes, they do look nice, and yes, they fit the molding perfectly.
However, that's about all they are good for.

You might decide on getting the whole kit, but here's what I would do:
Get the wiring kit (MINUS the lights) for $109
cherwirwebf.jpg

Then go get some good lights! :thumbup:

Last edited:
RTicUL8 said:
Yes, they do look nice, and yes, they fit the molding perfectly.
However, that's about all they are good for.

Agreed. They aren't even particularly good fog lights, and the low-hanging position they're in makes them vulnerable to just about everything. Neither of mine have rusted out yet, but I do have a hole in the lens on one of them (surprisingly, it still works) and trapped moisture in the other.

You might decide on getting the whole kit, but here's what I would do:
Get the wiring kit (MINUS the lights) for $109
cherwirwebf.jpg

Then go get some good lights! :thumbup:

Ditto. Once I get around to trimming the air dam, the OEM ones are being replaced with some Hellas attached to the top of the bumper.

On the OEM fog lamps you can also remove the baffle in the lamp housing if your looking for more of a driving light. It makes them much brighter with a longer throw and this modification takes no time at all to do. Also it is still street legal as long as you stay with the 55w bulb. Just thought I would add this info.

With baffles removed.
00XJWithFogLights3.jpg

I added the kit to my 98, I used only the internal wiring part and ended up with one wire thru the firewall that would operate a relay. I then used the 12ga wiring that came in my Hella 550 kit which also included a fused relay. I ran the 550's for about 2 years till one cracked, replaced both with Hella 450's.
http://www.rjpsystems.com/jeepnoselow01.jpeg
http://www.rjpsystems.com/jeepnoselow02.jpeg

Smaller light, same light pattern, just as good. I also run Hella E code headlights.

Back