• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poison Spyder heims? any good?

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
just wondering if poison spyder customs heims are any good?
on their website they say that they are the "strongest heims available"

i posted up a couple days ago about what steering im gonna get and instead of goin with any system i decided just to buy all the tubing, adapters, heims jam nut, and misalignment washers from them because for all that its $270. all i would need after that is the bolts through the knuckles and pitman arm.

should i go with the 3/4" or 5/8" heims? (i mean the hole size in the heim)
will a 5/8" grade 8 bolt be strong enough for the pass. side knuckle? or better to go with a 3/4? psc says on their website that a 5/8" heim is stronger than a 3/4".

i got a 91 with a dana 30 front and 33's

thanks
-Shomsky

Here is exactly what I would do, and you should consider doing the same.

Buy ONLY FK JMX series hiem joints. Forged and teflon coated. They last a very long time and stay tight! Get the 3/4 shank and bolt size. Buy 5/8" high misalignment spacers that fit in the joint and allow up to 36` movement.

Buy FK JMX. remember that ok?

yeah thanks scrappy.
those are the ones that poison spyder customs has i think.
and 3/4" shank with 5/8" wisalignment washers in between the two heims.
got it thanks
-Shomsky

Mine is all 3/4" heims with 5/8" grade 8 bolts. For the tie rod, since it doesn't need any misalignment, I like using 3/4 heims with 5/8" bore and safety washers. The safety washers won't let the heims come apart in case one wears out badly.

I also like JKS heims. The good ones last longer, and are cheaper in the long run.

Im running similar to Goatman, I got 3/4" rod ends, with 5/8" hole for the tie rod, and 3/4" rod ends with 3/4" with 5/8" high misalignment washers. I used saftey washers. They are QA1 chromo with teflon/kevlar race. Bought them from Ballistic Fab. Summit racing and Jegs sells them too.

Also the 3/4" with the 5/8" hole rod ends are rated for more strength that the 3/4" hole rod ends.

I've been using the Poison Spyder ones for a long while, I've been happy enough that I buy them still whenever I need ones for other stuff. They don't make 'em anyway, they just resell them from someone else.

ok sweet so heres what im ordering:
-3 feet of tubing (1.5" DOM .250)
-5 feet of tubing
-(3)1/4" misalignment spacers(5/8" bore/hole)
-(1)5/8" misalignment spacer
-2 right hand thread jam nuts 3/4", 16 thread
-2 left hand thread jam nuts 3/4", 16 thread
-2 tube adapters 3/4", 16 thread(LH)
-2 tube adapters 3/4", 16 thread(RH)
-2 heim joints 3/4", 16 thread with 5/8" bore(LH)
-2 heim joints 3/4", 16 thread with 5/8" bore(RH)

This is going to be a tie rod over the knuckle setup, so it will go, drag link on top, then tie rod, then the knuckle.

for the joining of the heims and knuckle and misalignment washers on the pass. side it will go like this: from bottom to top: knuckle, heim joint, 5/8" misalignment spacer, heim joint, 1/4" mis. spacer, then 5/8"x4" fine thread grade 8 bolt will go through all that leaving me with 3/4" thread to screw the nut on to below the knuckle.

for the pitman arm it will go like this: pitman arm 1/4" mis. spacer, heim joint, 1/4" mis. spacer, then a 5/8" x 3" fine thread grade 8 bolt that will go through all those and leave me with a little less than an inch of thread on the other end.

for the driver side knuckle there wont be any mis. washers. and have a 5/8" x 2.5" fine thread grade 8 leaving me a little less than an inch of thread on the other side.

So how does all this sound? anything i miss? any suggestions?
Thanks
-Shomsky

I can only recomend you do 2 things. I feel they are very important.

1. Do not go full over the knuckle. Tie rod under knuckle, the drag over. Thats alot of force to be in single shear, and I didnt trust it when I tried it.

2. Pull the knuckles off when you drill them. I cant tell you how mad you will be when you mess up one of them holes. Chuck it up in drill press and have at it. Trust me that it is worth the extra effort.

Back