• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommendation?

IMORTL

NAXJA Member #1156
I need to fix my Jeep. and I'd like some recommendations...

Details:

Front Axle Needs Work

I'd like to have it fixed before Big Bear in May.

I dont have the skill to do the repairs correctly (or at all)

I live in Corona

Who would you take it to to get the repairs done?

Here's what's broke:

Front Mount for Quick Disconnect
img_0489.jpg

Bent steering shock mount
img_0490.jpg

Leaking Seal
img_0491.jpg

What do you recommend?

I wouldn't worry about the shock mount...mine has looked like that since I bought the jeep (all stock).

Seal...any compitent garage can handle.

Broken Sway bar mount...quick fix would just be to weld it...someone with decent welding skills can handle that. To really fix it well might take a little more fab.

BTW...I have a spare front end that i could cut that mount off if you want one put on.

I could do it all at the shop, but you might find someone local who can do it too.

The sway bar mount needs welding.. Think about it first though, if you plan on OTK ssteering you'll need to extend the swaybar and this would be a perfect time to do so.

The stabilizer mount, beatit straight.

The pinion seal is easy stuff. Just take the pinion yoke off (impact), pry the old seal out, and drive a new seal on. Should take all of about thirty minutes if you work slow. Seal is available from any auto parts store, it's also the same seal used on D44 rear.

Sway bar mount - you can always buy new ones from JKS or Rusty's and have someone weld them on, not hard at all.

Steering stabilizer mount - remove stabilizer and don't worry about it.

Pinion seal - there are several guys here that know how to change that out. I don't believe it's too difficult, but you ave to be careful. I believe there is a crush sleeve in there and you don't want the new seal to leak.

If I knew exactly how to do it, I would help you out.

This can all be done very quickly!

Ok... More background...

the Swaybar mount

broke about a month ago in big bear with Bent... So I've been driving with it like that to, from and around Azusa for 4 weeks like that... I know it doesn't, NEED to be fixed but i want it fixed...

The Shock mount

Bent on the Night run we did in Calico John... Member way back then... I think that was at least a year, maybe year and a half ago... So yes, I can drive like that, but I want it fixed.

Seal Leaking

Just Noticed it 2 weeks ago. Don't want to run with a leaking seal. May be easy to fix, but since I want all the other stuff fixed, I want this fixed at the same time...

So Yes.. My rig would Prolly run Bear just fine, for as ugly as it looks, it does get the job done...

I have a 220v Stick Welder here at the house... Grinding Wheels and such tools, but not the skill or confidence to do it myself...

If I am hearing some volunteers here, I can set up a day of food, beer and Pool or Pong... But last time I asked for help, everyone was busy working on their own junk, which I guess is what's prolly going on now...

My Orignial thoughts were just to take it to John at all 4wd... if I take it to him it will cost $$$ but I know it will be done right...

AND...

How much would this "over the Knuckle" conversion cost?

Hmmmmmm....
A part of me wants to just bitch slap some sence into you...
the other part of me knows how it is to want to get something done and after putting it off for too long.....

First the ass hole:
Who the fuk runs a stabilizer anyway?
Who the fuk runs sway bars?
Leaky seal? Give me a break, if you don't have a puddle under the damn thing...forgetaboutit!

Now the nice Rick:
I'm not sure there is any real reason to run a stablizer on our XJ's. It has a bad habit of hiding problems that you should be addressing anyway.
Your stick welder should work just fine on the sway bar mount. But you will need to add some meat to it, otherwise it will just break in the same spot. I am curious about how it broke in the first place.....there shouldn't be that much pressure on the darn thing.. :dunno:(hint: this is the time you look at the length of your adjustable arms.....)
The leaky seal is a simple fix, if you can walk and breath at the same time, you should be able to do it. Having said that, buy two seals. They are cheap and if you have a problem with installing the first one, you got another to work with right there!

And as always, my garage is available, just PM me and we can work out a time to fix it. Maybe an hour or two...

:D

Rick

Jump This said:
Hmmmmmm....
A part of me wants to just bitch slap some sence into you...
the other part of me knows how it is to want to get something done and after putting it off for too long.....

First the ass hole:
Who the fuk runs a stabilizer anyway?
Who the fuk runs sway bars?
Leaky seal? Give me a break, if you don't have a puddle under the damn thing...forgetaboutit!

Now the nice Rick:
I'm not sure there is any real reason to run a stablizer on our XJ's. It has a bad habit of hiding problems that you should be addressing anyway.
Your stick welder should work just fine on the sway bar mount. But you will need to add some meat to it, otherwise it will just break in the same spot. I am curious about how it broke in the first place.....there shouldn't be that much pressure on the darn thing.. :dunno:(hint: this is the time you look at the length of your adjustable arms.....)
The leaky seal is a simple fix, if you can walk and breath at the same time, you should be able to do it. Having said that, buy two seals. They are cheap and if you have a problem with installing the first one, you got another to work with right there!

And as always, my garage is available, just PM me and we can work out a time to fix it. Maybe an hour or two...

Rick

LOL
I can except a bitch slap...

First the Ahole response:
1. People who have bent the hell out of the drag link so the front end wont align... I'll order the new bar next week... Fukr
2. People who like to drive fast around the corners... Fukr
3. I'm already the guy who has spots in all 3 places on my driveway... good thing I dont have an Assn where I live...Fukr

Now the Nice response:
1. You are correct. it is to fix minor problems you have in your steering... I consider it an insurance policy if I bend something on the trail, I want to be abel to drvie home without using a AAA tow - After I fix the drag link that's been bent for about 2 years. it swill be fine...

2. You are correct, I do have the welder, but I have been known to cause more damage by trying to fix it myself without superivison that I wouldn't try it unless someone who knew how to weld was there to supervise...

3. I didn't know what was involved in replacing a seal... I thought it involved messing with the ring & pinion align... Is it really that easty as unbolt and rebolt? again, I wouldnt want to try it the first time on my own even if I had 3 seals to work with...Basically what I'm saying is that I dont trust myself yet... I've seen me work, I break shit...

I'll see what my weekend looks like coming up and PM you if I have free few hours to run down there...

rpraterxj said:
Sway bar mount - you can always buy new ones from JKS or Rusty's and have someone weld them on, not hard at all.

Steering stabilizer mount - remove stabilizer and don't worry about it.

Pinion seal - there are several guys here that know how to change that out. I don't believe it's too difficult, but you ave to be careful. I believe there is a crush sleeve in there and you don't want the new seal to leak.

If I knew exactly how to do it, I would help you out.

This can all be done very quickly!

The pinion seal is real easy...no need to worry about the crush sleve..as a dana 30 high pinion doesn't have one....Just remove it and replace it...simple

IMORTL said:
LOL
I can except a bitch slap...

First the Ahole response:
1. People who have bent the hell out of the drag link so the front end wont align... I'll order the new bar next week... Fukr
2. People who like to drive fast around the corners... Fukr
3. I'm already the guy who has spots in all 3 places on my driveway... good thing I dont have an Assn where I live...Fukr

Now the Nice response:
1. You are correct. it is to fix minor problems you have in your steering... I consider it an insurance policy if I bend something on the trail, I want to be abel to drvie home without using a AAA tow - After I fix the drag link that's been bent for about 2 years. it swill be fine...

2. You are correct, I do have the welder, but I have been known to cause more damage by trying to fix it myself without superivison that I wouldn't try it unless someone who knew how to weld was there to supervise...

3. I didn't know what was involved in replacing a seal... I thought it involved messing with the ring & pinion align... Is it really that easty as unbolt and rebolt? again, I wouldnt want to try it the first time on my own even if I had 3 seals to work with...Basically what I'm saying is that I dont trust myself yet... I've seen me work, I break shit...

I'll see what my weekend looks like coming up and PM you if I have free few hours to run down there...

You forgot one, wire chafing on upper control arm. Could cause pretty sparks. I could hook you up on these fixes some evening or weekend. Just lemme know when you want to do it. John

jeeperjohn said:
wire chafing on upper control arm.

Huh?

what are you talking about?

the Blue line? thats ARB air...

I wouldnt worry about any of those fixes!

-I have driven without my swaybar on my DD for about 4 months now (bolt fell out of JKS disco)

-if your seal isnt leaking more than a couple of DROPS in an hour its not a real leak....just like the valve cover cant stop that baby from leaking.

-I just TACO'ed my steering dampener and all the fluid drained out of it....still is in working condition....the MONING has gone away with use.

If your going to fix anything go to any local welding shop and get that mount welded up for a couple of bucks.

Back