• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to be a fuddy-dud for a moment.

ECKSJAY

Water is dirty
Guys, just for a second I'd like to address something. I know I've been a good stick in the mud about certain issues in the past and like to think I've lightened up a bit in recent time, but some things have caught my eye.

I realize there are a bunch of you who are young and like to get out and have fun, but it seems to me that a lot of what goes on here with the 'non-sanctioned events' revolves around firearms and alcohol. While I enjoy both myself, I'd like you to perhaps step back for a second and put yourself in the place of someone who doesn't know anything about our group. Ask if this is how you'd like the perception of the overall group to be. Like I said, I enjoy this stuff as much as the next guy, but I also know there are several of us who don't participate in runs strictly based on the choices that are made. I, for one, have precious weekend time with my family and would like them to be comfortable coming along. I feel I can't do this at the moment and know there are others turned off about it as well. We like to think of ourselves as a group that can be enjoyed by all, and while we share similar interests, perhaps it's time to tone certain things down a little? :dunno: I'm at the point where I've been approached by too many people asking if this is how we are all the time. I really get the feeling that there are either too many out of touch with what's right or just a few who seem to do it enough to make everyone think that there are more. I don't want to meet with the BOD to discuss a rule initiation and revise what we do around here. I guess if this continues we're going to have to.

I also know there are certain folks who ARE underage participating in delinquent behavior while out with the group. I've seen it and didn't realize it until later. Guys, this has to stop or we're going to have to quit utilizing this board for organizing runs. I know you run stuff back-channel, so peel off your NAXJA stickers and go do what you need to do...just don't post pictures or 'write-ups' to these 'events' here. We're not interested.

Also the 'den-like' behavior outside of the long-hijacked thread is getting a little out of hand. I think we know what's appropriate for topic discussion. I'm going to start pulling inappropriate posts from these threads in order to help attract more folks out with us. The vulgarity is getting a little out of hand, in my opinion.

It is my job to make sure things are going smoothly and at this time I think a few folks are getting a little too carried away...and others are following suit. This isn't what we're all about and I appreciate your efforts to making this more enjoyable for yourselves, but if you're limited to making the most of every run by having to shoot something and drinking yourselves silly, perhaps it's time to bump the skill levels up and wheel something other than forest service roads and mud puddles. ;) Seriously, I love you guys like family...let's just take a breath and tone it down, mmmkay? :jester:

No get off my lawn. :D

ECKSJAY said:
Guys, just for a second I'd like to address something. I know I've been a good stick in the mud about certain issues in the past and like to think I've lightened up a bit in recent time, but some things have caught my eye.

I realize there are a bunch of you who are young and like to get out and have fun, but it seems to me that a lot of what goes on here with the 'non-sanctioned events' revolves around firearms and alcohol. While I enjoy both myself, I'd like you to perhaps step back for a second and put yourself in the place of someone who doesn't know anything about our group. Ask if this is how you'd like the perception of the overall group to be. Like I said, I enjoy this stuff as much as the next guy, but I also know there are several of us who don't participate in runs strictly based on the choices that are made. I, for one, have precious weekend time with my family and would like them to be comfortable coming along. I feel I can't do this at the moment and know there are others turned off about it as well. We like to think of ourselves as a group that can be enjoyed by all, and while we share similar interests, perhaps it's time to tone certain things down a little? :dunno: I'm at the point where I've been approached by too many people asking if this is how we are all the time. I really get the feeling that there are either too many out of touch with what's right or just a few who seem to do it enough to make everyone think that there are more. I don't want to meet with the BOD to discuss a rule initiation and revise what we do around here. I guess if this continues we're going to have to.

I also know there are certain folks who ARE underage participating in delinquent behavior while out with the group. I've seen it and didn't realize it until later. Guys, this has to stop or we're going to have to quit utilizing this board for organizing runs. I know you run stuff back-channel, so peel off your NAXJA stickers and go do what you need to do...just don't post pictures or 'write-ups' to these 'events' here. We're not interested.

Also the 'den-like' behavior outside of the long-hijacked thread is getting a little out of hand. I think we know what's appropriate for topic discussion. I'm going to start pulling inappropriate posts from these threads in order to help attract more folks out with us. The vulgarity is getting a little out of hand, in my opinion.

It is my job to make sure things are going smoothly and at this time I think a few folks are getting a little too carried away...and others are following suit. This isn't what we're all about and I appreciate your efforts to making this more enjoyable for yourselves, but if you're limited to making the most of every run by having to shoot something and drinking yourselves silly, perhaps it's time to bump the skill levels up and wheel something other than forest service roads and mud puddles. ;) Seriously, I love you guys like family...let's just take a breath and tone it down, mmmkay? :jester:

No get off my lawn. :D

Well said.....and it's about damn time it was said. Thanks, ECKSJAY, the NWC just gained a shred of respect back, IMO.

:thumbup: What Ecsjay said x2. :peace:

Well Said and appropriate.

------------------

Is there a way to have posted run threads locked so that just the person creating the thread can update it? That way a seperate roaming thread could be started for the on and off topic ramblings while the main thread would be pristine for those who are actually interested in the event.

... Or do you moderators have lives and jobs and actually leave your computers sometimes? :roll:

Thank you for the time and effort!!!

Strong but a good message.

My thoughs:hang:

I like beer, but not on the trails, I'll tolerate until things get sideways.
I don't own a gun so, gun lingo goes through my head....bla bla bla.

Just want to help NAXJA nation appeal to every one that enjoys XJ's and off roading!

PAT

Maybe this could be a sticky so we dont lose track and get off on the wrong path? And that newer people can learn whats allowed and not allowed here.

Very good work Ecks

Thanks guys. I don't want to name names or point fingers. We're all adults and sometimes we realize we're wrong. By posting the original thread I'm CERTAINLY not saying that I've never done this before myself (That one time, at band camp, I had a beer with lunch and put a few rounds through a pistol about 45 minutes later. I apologize to those whom I made uncomfortable.) I appreciate those who have helped bring my attention back inward to what's best overall. Let's nip this in the bud (well, small branch at this point) and think of what's reasonable and prudent.

I think I've said all I need to here...and if you call me up seeking clarification then maybe you're one of the ones doing it. See the second sentence.

Thanks again for your support.

Now I agree the ship's not as tight as it could be, but I think all in all it's a good group of guys that mean well and are very outgoing.

With that - NEVER have I felt I couldn't bring my sons/wife along. It's situational awareness. I think the guys use a great deal of respect in the conditions with family present; while not necessary it is greatly appreciated. They know when it's accepted and when it's not.

I'm pretty sure some of the unacceptable posts are mine and I appologize. I agree that it gets out of hand from time to time.

Of the few runs I've been on, I've never seen anyone drunk on the trail. Drunk at camp the night before yes, never on the trail. Kudos again to you guys for me being able to say this truthfully. We've all seen the other side...

Thanks Phil for making it publicly known what's tolerated and what's not in the best interests of the chapter.

mud1059 said:
Now I agree the ship's not as tight as it could be, but I think all in all it's a good group of guys that mean well and are very outgoing.

With that - NEVER have I felt I couldn't bring my sons/wife along. It's situational awareness. I think the guys use a great deal of respect in the conditions with family present; while not necessary it is greatly appreciated. They know when it's accepted and when it's not.

I'm pretty sure some of the unacceptable posts are mine and I appologize. I agree that it gets out of hand from time to time.

Of the few runs I've been on, I've never seen anyone drunk on the trail. Drunk at camp the night before yes, never on the trail. Kudos again to you guys for me being able to say this truthfully. We've all seen the other side...

Thanks Phil for making it publicly known what's tolerated and what's not in the best interests of the chapter.

X's 2 with Paul. Couldnt have said it better myself.
-Ryan

mud1059 said:

x2 very guilty here

SpazMoid said:
So then....

Whats the Clarification from the whole. Official / Unofficial

Seems like every run i've been on has been a unofficial run, is this what you are talking about?

Well yeah... It's about the fishbowl we're in around here as a Chapter. While it may not be an official function, there's a certain way others perceive things when they stop by to visit. Think of it as 'member conduct'. :) That part is just asking everyone to keep in mind how they act while they're out and about, representing NAXJA as a whole and as a Chapter. I touched on that a little bit in the last thread about your night run. :) We don't own this Chapter...it's on loan from National and can be taken away. It's bad when they start asking questions around here. ;)

Very well put Phil. Kudos to you for stepping up and saying what alot of people have been thinking. Thank you

Phil,

It could not have been said better!!! I love this group, and it is the best group I have ever wheeled with consistently. Your comments are well taken and we all need to "Police" ourselves. This is a great group, let's keep it that way!!

Michael

Thanks Phil, I was asked some questions about what had been read on this site lately by a person from Eastern WA. Concerned that the attitude of the NWC had changed over the last 2 years and wasn`t sure about going to NW Fest this year.
Glad to see somebody bring it up ...:eyes:
Thanks

90exjay said:
Along this line of thinking i was wondering Phil, what is the chapter and or naxja's standing on firearms, on runs/trails and so forth?

Sean

Leave 'em at home for the runs, that's a National thing. Probably a good idea to leave that for an unorganized run (IE: planned off the boards, discussed off the boards afterward). Also a good idea for everyone to freshen up on the laws concerning firearms discharge in the vicinity of established roads. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
Also a good idea for everyone to freshen up on the laws concerning firearms discharge in the vicinity of established roads. ;)

As well as the Federal law regarding carrying in National Forests.

bknudtsen said:
As well as the Federal law regarding carrying in National Forests.

That's where it can get rather complicated. I'd be more than happy to answer questions about this via PM. Thanks for bringing that up, Brad.

Back