• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0L Exhaust Manifold

XJ_Dreams said:
will a manifold of a 89 4.0L fit directly onto my 92 4.0HO??

I think so - as I recall, only the intake ports were raised in 1991 - the exhaust port didn't change until around 1999.

However, bear in mind that you'll have to come up with a plug for the EGR passage, down by the HEGO sensor bung. The EGR was also deleted in 1991.

DEFINITELY do a test fit first - just in case I'm wrong (and if I'm right, please let me know...)

One easy way for a first check might be to compare manifold gaskets? If they are the same part # it should bolt up I would think. There are the other issues that were mentioned before to look into.

XJIDAHO said:
One easy way for a first check might be to compare manifold gaskets? If they are the same part # it should bolt up I would think. There are the other issues that were mentioned before to look into.

I can tell you offhand that the gaskets are not the same part number - the fact that both manifolds share a common gasket doesn't help. You'll get different part numbers for 1987-1990 and 1991-up 4.0, due to the raised intake ports for 1991...

Back