• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL on and idling hard at startup

Generalcuz

NAXJA Forum User
My check engine light came on and the XJ is idling hard at startup, but then it will smooth out after kicking it up to 2000 rpm once. Anyone know this symptom? I was thinking o2 sensor. Let me know your thoughts. It's friday, paycheck is in and wrenches are spread out on my workbench. :clap:

Year? Mileage? What engine?

If it's 96+, run it down to autozone and have them pull the code (they will do it for free). Then go from there.

It is a 1996 XJ with a standard 4.0. Been a great vehicle this past year. I am currently at 149,982 miles on the motor. Gonna take a pic this weekend when it kicks the 150 mark.

Okay, I will begin with the code thing tomorrow. On my way home tonight, the CEL went out. I am going to begin calling my XJ the "Rubix Cube". Secondly I will check out the throttle position sensor.

tupton said:
If it throws a "missfire at cylinder #3" then you have just experienced the great "heat vaporization issue" that the late model 4.0's experience after a hot restart. Search.......

Yep, fix is heat-shilding over the injectors and fuel rail. You can make your own out of regular heat shileding or the dealer has a pre-cut heat shield for ya.

tupton said:
If it throws a "missfire at cylinder #3" then you have just experienced the great "heat vaporization issue" that the late model 4.0's experience after a hot restart. Search.......

However, i'm almost positive that was a 2000 and 2001 issue.

tupton said:
They say it is a 2000 and 2001 issue but I have talked to several others with 96 and up and they have has it happen to them also.

Interesting. Never heard of it happening to other's with 96-99's. Never had an issue such as that with mine, and it's seen some pretty hot weather in its time with me...

Back