• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do the 8.25 and 35 use the same gasket

Combatcm

NAXJA Forum User
Advance auto looked it up for me for my 2000 sport and gave me a gasket for a 8.25, at least, that's what it says on the package.

Exchange?

They should have asked the rear end in your Jeep rather than assuming. Return and get the D35.

:dunce:

Thanks for making me double check, I have the 8.25

Blame it on assumptions again, I thought the 8.25 only came with 242 transfer case, I don't know where I got that from.

Combatcm said:

Blame it on assumptions again, I thought the 8.25 only came with 242 transfer case, I don't know where I got that from.
8.25 came in everything that didn't have ABS from about 92-93 up.
Everything that has ABD has a d35.
Everything AMC made had a 35, with the rare 44 in there, and the one year they used the AMC Model 20.

Combatcm said:

Glad you double-checked it though. You could look at the FAQ for more info about that. Of course, if you'd like to compare actual, physical examples and note the visual cues you can check http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html

Jim
www.yuccaman.com

My D35 actually says D35C on it- another easy way to ID it:laugh3:

mjma said:
yeah they use the same gasket, it's called RTV!

X3, I set up rear ends and i never buy the gasket, just RTV it. I do however clean the inside of the case with brake cleaner to get all of the old fluid and shavings out. It usually takes 2 cans per diff. Make sure the cover and the mounting surface is clean and dry. Put it together and let it dry a few hours before you add the fluid. Make a note and put it on your steering wheel to remind you or whoever to put the fluid in the diff.

xjtrailrider said:
X3, I set up rear ends and i never buy the gasket, just RTV it. Put it together and let it dry a few hours before you add the fluid.
I recently switched to Permatex "The Right Stuff" RTV. I highly recommend it. It sets up very fast, so you don't have to wait around to fill your diffs. It costs a bit more than generic RTV, but it's definitely worth it IMO. If you get it in the large caulk gun size the price isn't so bad.

xjtrailrider said:
X3, I set up rear ends and i never buy the gasket, just RTV it. I do however clean the inside of the case with brake cleaner to get all of the old fluid and shavings out. It usually takes 2 cans per diff. Make sure the cover and the mounting surface is clean and dry. Put it together and let it dry a few hours before you add the fluid. Make a note and put it on your steering wheel to remind you or whoever to put the fluid in the diff.
if you do this, stay clear of the bearings. You don't want to wash out the gear oil, or they'll be dry until it splashes back up there.
I usually just wipe out the bottom with a rag.

Back