• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternative front axle bumpstop?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj 4.0 limited, Looking for an alternative to using the hockey puck/stock bump stop idea. Reason being I'm an idiot and I torched the bumpstops off to fit on a coil spacer. I think if I stack up hockey pucks that high they will end up interfering with my coil spring. I run without a front sway bar,never had a problem with tires rubbing with 31 x 10.5s, but the 32x 11.5's rub pretty good in the inner fender. Thanks for the help in advance!!

Did you cut the entire coil stud off? Or just the end of it? I just cut the end of mine off and slid a bumpstop up into the bottom.

Run a normal 5" poly aftermarket bumpstop at the top. The Daystar ones will fit INSIDE the coil stud if you cut the bottom off. Then drill and run a bolt through the stud & bumpstop to secure it in place for the top.

Then use hocks pucks at the bottom bolted to the center of the coil bucket.
If your coils are bowed, your LCAs are too short.

I used these small rubber helper springs from Timbren for my rear stops...

DSC01559.JPG

DSC01584.JPG

They compress easily for the first inch or so, then get progressively harder. So they're a little more forgiving than just a solid bumpstop. They're hollow with a metal sleeve at the top, and you just put a bolt up through it and tighten it down.

There's a good thread on them here with a bunch of different specs and part numbers:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=347598&highlight=timbren

I yanked outh the rubber bumper and torched where the bumpstop and the coil stud meet, so I have nothing to screw anything into,I guess I could have someone weld something back on there next time I have it apart and just run a front sway bar till then.I don't know why I do stupid things. I was just wondering if anyoneone mounted anything to the bottom of the framerail behind the coil spring and bumpstopped off the axle tube.

Sounds like a good reason to do ACOS!

Lincoln, Cracker, and I are using Prothane coil inserts. They just sit inside the coil and are very soft and progressive. After trying many bumpstop combinations these are by far the best thing yet. You just need a flat round plate at the top for the coil insert to hit up against, and that's it. Get the long ones and trim to fit, mine compress over 3" so they are a nice soft cushy front bumpstop.

Here's a link to Prothane, click on "coil spring inserts". You can get them at Baja Concepts.

Very much appreciated! I'll get the long ones and trim them, can I trim them once installed? Thanks again!

haha old thread!,two years later I finally got these, have not been installed yet, but finally need them! It was a bugger sourcing them!, no where in canada had them, prothane does not sell direct, Number 17 on my list of vendors I phoned was able to help me out. (suspension connection in utah, nice fella!) They were twenty bucks more through him but after 16 others couldnt help me out I wasnt going to argue with the price! Just curious to hear from others who have them, wondering about how long they last, and it sounds like around 3 to 3.5" of compression? Cant wait to get them in, I plan on installing them whole and fine tuning with a hand saw

Back