• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4???

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Those who have a tempeture gage on the AW4, How hot does it normally run? How does it compear to the engine, which of the two is hotter before being cooled by the radiator?

I stole this info from another post some time ago and it's pretty much on the money.

TRANS TEMPS:
I'm not sure if there are specific temps for one specific transmission, most people go by the temp that is best for the fluid. That is how transmissions die, the fluid oxidizes and the transmission goes shortly after. You can also cook internal seals and that will cause all sorts of malfunctions.

<130°F Too Cold, Obviously you'll pass thru this warming up, but you've got to keep the trans temp above this most of the operating time. Moisture will naturally collect and won't be evaporated out if the fluid is this cold, that moisture forms sludge and breaks down the fluid. As well, the valving and hydraulics are all calibrated for the fluid viscosity at a higher temp.

130°-150° Not great, but should be OK, as long as you get over 150° a few minutes during the drive.

150°-180° Ideal, the trans fluid will last forever at 180°F, the trans should be just fine at this temp range.

180°-220° Warm Side, the trans fluid is slowly oxidizing, depending how long you spend in this range should take into consideration your frequency of fluid change.

220°-230° Hot, Only except a few minutes of operation in this range, maybe 10-20 minutes at most, you should be only hitting these temps at heaviest loads and only except them for as occasional high loads and not normal business. If your in this range often, you should be changing the fluid very often, as well, if your in it all the time, then you need more cooling.

225° Is my Limit, If I hit this, I back off or quit what I'm doing to cool the trans off, sometimes I go a little over for a few moments, but if I can't get it back down, I'm approaching the cooking range.

230°-250° Too Hot, Your in the cooking the fluid range, get out of it right away by doing what’s necessary to cool off the transmission, this should be your first priority once you hit this range. Spend more than a minute or two in this range; you should change your fluid very soon.

>250°F Your COOKING your transmission fluid and trans, the fluid will 100% oxidize in a few minutes at this temp or higher and not much higher seals can harden or warp. If you go above this, if your trans isn't ruined right away, the fluid is ruined and needs to be changed immediately, i.e. don't drive it until you change the fluid.

Back