• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pro Comp coils or Rough Country Coils? 4.5"

selarep

NAXJA Forum User
I am not ever sure if I wanna jump into the world of 4.5" lifts... I don't know if I could afford the SYE/Drive Shaft... so this is just an odd ball question incase i do get the funds... (if not then I'm going 3.5")

Which coils are best OTHER THAN RE?
I can get some killer deals on teh Rough Country coils, even thier lift kits I can score a fat discount, but are they worth it?

any one have any issues? or should I just save up for RE?

Rough Country gets a lot bad reviews, and Pro Comp is so-so, but they get bashed a lot too. Personally, I saved and saved until I could afford Rubicon Express. Went with the 3.5" Super-flex kit and I can't recommend it enough. Excellently designed and well thought out product. As far as going 4.5", that was my initial goal but I realized the RE 4.5" kit comes with the same leaf springs as the 3.5" but with an extended shackle, so for now I'm running the 3.5" and when I can afford to regear and possibly do an SYE/CV combo, I'll get shackles and spacers to get closer to 5".

Don't know what size tires you plan on running, but I run 31x10.50 TrXus MTs from Interco on my 3.5" lift and they clear easily. The kit, fresh out of the box, sits at about 5.5" in the rear and 4.5" in the front. This is my DD so I'm keeping it at this setup for now, which is very street friendly and still really capable off-road. Just some things to keep in mind. Best of luck to ya.

selarep said:
I am not ever sure if I wanna jump into the world of 4.5" lifts... I don't know if I could afford the SYE/Drive Shaft... so this is just an odd ball question incase i do get the funds... (if not then I'm going 3.5")

Which coils are best OTHER THAN RE?
I can get some killer deals on teh Rough Country coils, even thier lift kits I can score a fat discount, but are they worth it?

any one have any issues? or should I just save up for RE?

Are you trying to get a bad ride, or a decent ride and good flex? Rough country rides VERY rough. procomp ... is not great. :) Re rides good, flexes nice. OME coils ride nice, deaver, skyjacker..

I dont know cal... I have RC front 6.5" coils and its always rode well. Even with the lightening with no rear body its still nice in front. I had procrap front coils on a TJ and they were Hell on ride, very stiff. And their CJ leafs are like a rigid mount they are so stiff.

I would go RC over the two, and honestly after having the RC on my rig for about 2 yrs now, would go RC over any others if I had to buy em. If not I would go prolly currie or deaver (same I think).

I've only used RC 3" and 4.5", but both rode like a ton of bricks on a skateboard. Maybe the 6.5" are different.

I used to run the RE1310 4.5" xj coils, and it was probably the best ride I've ever had.. Ask Dj Josh Blade, he used to comment on how cadillacy it was.

Now I run the RE1345 (ZJ 4.5/xj 5.5) and they are certainly a bit stiffer, but more tuned to what I'm doing with the jeep.

RC gets bad reviews because its not RE...... RE to me is like buying Oakley sunglasses............ hey they were cool back in the day but you are mostly paying for the name brand. I would just rather spend my money on some Spys............... you know what im sayin?? I got the RC 4.5 and I think it rides nice. Its not like ridding on shot springs but its a good ride. It also depends on what shocks you use too..... Ranchos will make it ride even stiffer but blistens will soften it up quite a bit.

ParnstaR is is right... I have the RC 4.5 and together with the JKS discos and good shocks the front flexes really well and rides well on the street aswell. I would especially recommend them if you want to run aftermarket bumper and maybe a winch... (i have a custom bumper and a 9500lbs winch - very heavy) But remmember that coils are not the only thing that will flex your front... get some good arms with johnny joints on them and a HD track bar + streering...

But back to the coils. go with the RC, I am happy with mine...

I have just recently installed the RE 3.5 and could not say more great things about it. I, Also originally planned for the 4.5 but since it uses the same spring pack as the 3.5, I have decided to do the lift in 2 stages so I can properly gear the front and rear as well. Rubicon is definitely worth your dollar!! Spend the extra money on a quality shock. This makes all of the difference in the world...:NAXJA:

Can't speak on either.

Save and get a RE. I have the 3.5" SF w/ 31's and I love it. Rides fine onroad and amazing offroad. Sits at about 4 1/4 - 1/2 give or take a bit.

If you don't feel like saving or can't save and you can get a good deal on RC then wtf are you waiting for. Go with it. Do what suits your budget.

g/l with whatever you go with.

Great info in this thread. I just picked up an old 87 Laradeo XJ and I want to the change the rear spring and shackles (rust). The front springs seem fine so I'll do the back first. The PO bought The PC Total Bushing set Including the front track bar (poly) so that will help. Since this will have to handle some twisty back roads I want to maintain good handling with firm but not bone jarring ride and I tend to drive briskly. The rig won't have to tow or carry heavy loads but will have to do the chores as the grocery getter.
My brain tells me that the 2"lift kits would probably be the best but my heart and wife, likes the look of the 3.5". I might go for the 2" with adjustable shackles or bite the bullet and go the 3.5" and of course the need to adjust the transfer casse and pinion angles.
And yes, shocks make a big difference in the way a rig behaves. I have Blist shocks on few cars and trucks and have always liked the ride and performance but not the price. I got a deal on some top of the line Gabriels and they were good (1/2 ton Ford PU).
Have A great Fourth
rikard

I thought that buying re stuff was way too trendy for me but my boss could get re stuff for a good price and he took it out of my check.So long story short I went with the re 4.5 lift and not like any other kit would not be good but I live it. 0 problems other then I need to get bigger tires and different wheels.

Is the price diff that much?

I think I saw rock crawler coils for like $99 or something like that. Not sure if they are good but smething to look into

also I just used some cheap pro comp shocks and I have no complaints there either I know there are better ones but my jeep rides way better then any other vehicle we own and I feel like a baja racer on rough dirt roads. Once again I m no expert but just giving you something to think about

Rough Country doesn't ride rough, I call totall BS on that.

At first, yes...very stiff.

After a few months of wheeling and twisting the shit out of them. Nice and cushy. My RC coils perform quite well.

I'd recommend rusty's coils. I'm running his 4.5" coils + 1.75" spacers for just over 6" of lift, and they ride and flex excellent.

Not even flexed out. Dropping a coil.
1595969_203_full.jpg

Back