• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6 inch lift and driveshafts hel

dbswede

NAXJA Member # 1516
I just went from a 4 1/2" lift (sagging badly) in the rear to a (bds)5 " I am running a extended shackle already (5" attained 6" rear lift). Any how I moved about 20 ft to test and the drive line fell out. I am also running a fabricated 1" t case drop which is welded in (the origional bolts pulled thru).

so now am looking at alternitives for the rear and wondering about the front (turdyand 8.8 rear).
The cheapest is a rustys yolk extender (60.00 plus shipping)...I am thinking this would be a short term, it would also get it on the road fastest, it is a extra vehicle but used as some what of a DD in-town.
Hack and tap (185.00?) and front drive shaft which I have a extra...
Or getting a custom like tom woods for around 500.00 complete.

So my question are?
Is the front DS still long enough (this isnt as addressed)?
Is the H and T with a stock front DS long enough and strong enough? Is this a good long term fix.
Or just go to the tom woods with a SYE.
Local help would be appreciated!

the swede

if you get the right front it will be close..has to be from from an early cherokee, and automatic. i have about 5.5 inches, and am getting ready to install my PORC sye, and front DS here soon

Just for shits and giggles I tested out my front driveshaft on the rear at 5.5" and it was like and inch and a half too short to even make contact. I've got an '87, aw4/231 with a 44 rear and hp30 front.

You can do cheaper than 500 for an sye/shaft if you shop around. Locally good cv shafts run about $230, you can get them for $120 from the ghetto gotta speak spanish shops. and I've seen good SYE's in the 180-220 range by shopping around, check PORC for specials.

-C

Check ebay for your sye as well you can generally get good deals on purchased-but-never-used jeep parts. Thats where my AA sye came from, brand new in box, for half the price.

What year is your XJ?The extended yoke is only 3/8" longer.It does have better angle range though!

i dont know if this will help you, but i found the rear driveshaft from a grand cherokee to be 1" longer than the oem one from my 96 with ax-15 and 8.25... it postponed doing sye and new dshaft a lil bit longer.

Thanks for the help..I am leaning tword a sye with a custom shaft...I am somewhat certain that these springs also increased my wheel-base...does any one else have bds springs?
thanks

the problem with a custom shaft is if you break it - you need a new custom shaft.
I just lifted my XJ to 6.5" give or take .5" and with a ford 8.8 and RE SYE on an NP242 tcase/AW4 trans the front driveshaft from a 95 grand cherokee fits awesome. Possibly a tad too long (I'm still making adjustments) but if it does turn out to be that .25-.5 inch too long I will figure out a way to move the axle back that much.

I am at about 5.5" in the rear, and I am still running a stock driveshaft. I do plan on doing a sye, but it works for now. I just looked around for a longer driveshaft. I have a 87 with a d44 rear, and I found a shaft from a 91 with a d35 rear that fit perfect. Drives fine on the road. I couldn't really comment on vibes, though, as I am running 34" LTB bias tires. This could maybe get you on the road for now.

Go full SYE. Advanced Adapter SYE at Rusty's is $200

PORC SYE is $170

I am at 5.5" and I am running a front driveshaft in both ends! I did have to have the rear lenghted an inch or so.
measure your distance, then measure our front DS, see if it will fit.

It is better to find a local driveline company to custom cut the DS. If you order one, you have to wait and hope that your measurements are good.

TW is good quality, though.

Good Luck!

fuzzydog said:
the problem with a custom shaft is if you break it - you need a new custom shaft.
I just lifted my XJ to 6.5" give or take .5" and with a ford 8.8 and RE SYE on an NP242 tcase/AW4 trans the front driveshaft from a 95 grand cherokee fits awesome. Possibly a tad too long (I'm still making adjustments) but if it does turn out to be that .25-.5 inch too long I will figure out a way to move the axle back that much.

:huh:
I have yet to break my drive shaft. Not saying it won't happen but hasn't yet.
This is a lame excuse for not doing it right. :doh: You're hunting a quarter to a half an inch with the wheel base, when all you need is a quality aftermarket drive shaft that allows for more slip?
Hey, You could ream out the center hole on the spring perches to allow the axle to set back a quarter inch.
:wow:

DaffyXJ said:
:huh:
Hey, You could ream out the center hole on the spring perches to allow the axle to set back a quarter inch.
:wow:

Hey! that's a great idea! I was wondering how I would swing it but now I know. Thanks! ok, ok, I'm just kidding....

But seriously, yes I would rather adapt my driveline to some standard parts so that if I break something I should be able to get a replacement QUICKLY, CHEAPLY AND LOCALLY.
There's no substitute for building a perfectly designed and fabbed off road warrior but the reality of it is that some of us don't even live in the same time zone as TW, never mind the same country.

As far as never having broken a shaft yet.....I guess if your house hasn't burned down you don't need to buy fire insurance? - hasn't happened yet....

Question: I have an Advance Apapter HD SYE not yet installed, how do you guys go about mating the front shaft to fit onto the yoke of the SYE?

i am at 6.5" and have a AA sye installed.nv3550 trans,8.25 29 spline rear.I used a front shaft from a 93 zj grand cherokee,here is a link to factory size drive shaffts and numbers that are jeep dealer numbers printed on the drive shaft sticker. all ya gotta do is call some j yards and ask for the number you want or go an look fer yer self LINK--------www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/axle/propeller_shafts2.html

Back