• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trimmed edges?

MG2000XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I want to trim my fenders so I dnt bend them up anymore that I already have. I will be fine with the actual trimmin but what can I put on the edges once they are trimmed to keep them from rusting? I want to keep the color the same and have no touch up paint... Can I get touch up paint from a dealer? Clear enamel? What shoudl I do!?

I wasn't to picky but came out looking good with just a shot of clear on them. I didn't mar up my paint when trimming but just to provent rust I used clear.

Bed liner has a good look to it. There are some pictures floating around here and on XJDB with liner used about 1/4" out from the cut edge.

there is a nice writeup on here somewhere of a guy that cut his then he got this stuff on ebay that was almost like the molding around the door but fit perfectly around the edge it was one of the nicest trim jobs i seen

I am bedlining mine and the lower rockers. I just used touch up paint for now.

Well the process has begun. I just stopped by Home Depot and picked up clear Rustoleum anti rust paint. It says its for unfinished metals, so it sounds like the right thing to me. Now I just have to man up and start cutting. All I have is a Dremel so idn how well that will work what do you think? I think after I cut them and paint them I will go ahead and put on that Protecto trim stuff.

I used electric shears and they worked like butter and super fast,.. just taped up with masking tape to prevent scratching/etc... You can get that "protekto" stuff from autozone, I think it is door trim/protector for pretty cheap.

good luck..

If you search around some more, there was a guy on here who used some trim that he bought on ebay. After reading his write-up, I searched around on ebay and found stuff similar to what he used:

541a_1.JPG

Wouldn't you know it, the same seller is selling some more!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Taco...ryZ50443QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It works great:

fender1.jpg

fender2.jpg

Last edited:
not sure how much dremel cut off wheels are and how long they last i only use my dremel wheels for plastic and i bough ta ton of everything at once. But you can buy a ryobi angle grinder for $24-26 and get off brand cut off wheels for around $1.10. Might be worth it if you guys are considering useing a dremel.

mike86xj said:
if you live in the rust belt I would use caution when using that, because it will hold dirt and moisture against the paint which could cause rust.

True, but silicone it before you push it on to the fender and you should be okay.

Back