• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help

Taterade

NAXJA Forum User
First off, would like to say its a 1997 XJ 4.0L 2wd with 93.5k miles.

Now to the problem... I've had a recurring problem, thought it was resolved, but it continues to show back up. The Jeep won't idle for very long without going into a very rough idle then throwing the codes 24 & 45. However, idling is not the only time the problem occurs. A few times while driving I've had the car sort of bog down and throw the same 2 codes. I've already replaced the TPS with an OEM part straight from the dealer (code 24), but the code continues to come up again and again with code 45. Here's the kicker, code 45 makes absolutely no sense. " 45 Turbo boost limit exceeded (engine was shut down by logic module)" is on the thread someone made a while ago. My Jeep hasn't got a turbo, nor does the car get turned completely off. There has been no noticeable power loss or drop in gas mileage (18 city, 23 highway).

Another problem (not sure if its related or not) is a sort of cutting back/bucking occurance while I'm driving. It's not overly severe, but you can definietly tell it's there. It's not really consistent on how or when it happens except it only happens when I'm maintaining a steady pace. The problem won't happen while I'm not on the gas, nor will it happen when I'm at full throttle.

Thanks in advance for your help.

On OBDII ('96 up) vehicles 45 means:

Trans temperature/ Governor pressure voltage out of range. Less than 1.55 or above 3.73volts for temperature and less than .1 or above 4.89 volts. Trans temp. to high or low. OD switch input too low for more than 5 mins.

Hope that helps some.

I'm interested to see where this goes.... My 98, 4.0, auto, 4x4 sounds like it is behaving about the same- Sometimes at idle, fewer times while driving. It actually stalled out twice. Came on really sudden- it stuttered good once last night, twice this am, and nearly stopped traffic this afternoon.

Out of curiosity how old is your battery?

My Dakota had a idle problem that was solved when I realized my battery was dieing and replaced it. Chrysler PCMs tend to act a little wierd with out good voltage.

Back