• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to get AC working... mechanic says its the accumulator.

darjevon

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a new 99 xj from a friend that didn't start. Fixed that (bad starter relay) and now its in good shape. Except for the AC.

I had the system evacuated and charged at a local shop. No problem, AC ran, all was good - for 3 weeks. Took it back in and the mechanic said that there was a big leak and that i had no refrig whatsoever left in the system... just wonderful. Anyway, he did a free leak check, and told me that there is a big leak in the accumulator and a little one in the "hose assembly".

Should I believe this and throw in a new accumulator? Or is it very unlikely on a healthy collision-free XJ for this part to fail?

Need help fast - there's nothing like driving a car with no AC in a Memphis summer.

97, 98, 99 XJ's and 95-98ZJ's common point of failure is the evaporator in the heater box. 8 hours labor, dash has to come out, completely. Go get a couple of cans of R135 with dye, black light pen or flashlight, yellow black light goggles. Dump a can or two into the system, drive a few days with the defrosters on [defroster use the a/c compuessure to dry out the air] then go to town with the black light, look for a green stain while wearing the glasses, pay particular attention to the drain on the passenger side firewall, that little J shaped hose that sticks out just above the frame rail, stick a qtip or your pinky in there. If it show any dye it's the evaporator.

Local shop may have already put leak detect dye in. Do what RichP says first, without adding any 134a or dye.....

Back