• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing boats....

volksr32

NAXJA Forum User
so, who tows boats here? i was reading on another website which said my '01 XJ can tow 5,000 lbs. that seems like a little much to me.

Been towing a 2002 19 foot ranger since it was new with a 98 Jeep sport. No issues and she pulls it pretty well. I highly suggest trailer brakes if towing anything other than a jon boat though.

I pull a canoe on a small boat trailer with the canoe loaded down with camping and canoeing gear. That's my entourage when I travel to Utah to wheel/hike/canoe. Pulls like a charm, I think in large part because the trailer wheels are set so far back, the trailer being a boat trailer.

I used to pull my 19' malibu with my xj before I got my Expedition. That was also when my xj was still at only 3" lift and 31's. The xj has plenty of power to pull it, the issue is stopping. You need to make sure you have trailer brakes, which for a boat trailer would be hydraulic surge brakes.

I have towed my 18 ft Astro bass boat (3100#) for a couple of years now with any one of my 4 XJ's, all auto's, no problems.

Just add a good cooler and some surge disc brakes, I also added a tranny temp guage.

jeepboatsideview2lr.jpg

trannytempguagekc4.jpg

Be sure to througly rinse off the back end of your xj after u get home or it will turn to rust. The last owner of my xj towed a boat into long island sound and when i got it it took me 6months to get the rear tires off because of the rust.

I towed my 19 foot Carolina skiff with my XJ when it was stock. I didn't really have a problem pulling it. I know how to tow (I had driven more with a boat attached before I got my permit than I did without one. I was towing a boat with an Expedition the 2nd day I got my learners permit on the highway), so I knew I had to give myself lots of extra time for breaking and everything.

When I went to drop it in, it was a pretty busy day at the lake and some asshat wanted to disregard the fact that I was patiently waiting in line to drop mine in, so after honking my horn at him, I went to drop it in, and the ramp was a little steep, and I slid most of the way back until the boat was in. I had no trouble pulling it out later that day, and I haven't had any troubles since.

A buddy of mine pulled assorted vehicles behind his XJ, never any problems besides a little with bracking. As everyone else has posted trailer brakes, trailer brakes. Pulling is always the easy part, stopping on the other hand...

slacker, that is the kind of boat i wanna get. i wanna get a ocean fish ing boat. wasnt sure how much they weigh or anything. i was talking to someone at work, and they said some trailers have brakes that apply because of the weight pushing forward whenever the vehicle was breaking. is that what you guys are calling surge braking?

volksr32 said:
slacker, that is the kind of boat i wanna get. i wanna get a ocean fish ing boat. wasnt sure how much they weigh or anything. i was talking to someone at work, and they said some trailers have brakes that apply because of the weight pushing forward whenever the vehicle was breaking. is that what you guys are calling surge braking?

Yes, that is surge brakes. Make sure you get the reverse lock out feature so that when you back up the brakes do not actuate. I ordered my kit from a trailer supply store(can't remember the name). It came with everything you need to do the up grade for $250. I went with the disc brake setup and it works real good. When I feel the trailer brakes applying I actually can let off the Jeeps brakes some and they will keep you straight in a panic stop as well.

I don't know how big of a boat your are looking at but most center console boats weigh less than bass boats that are the same length due to the lay out of the boat, and just less stuff on board.

cjsxj87 said:
Be sure to througly rinse off the back end of your xj after u get home or it will turn to rust. The last owner of my xj towed a boat into long island sound and when i got it it took me 6months to get the rear tires off because of the rust.
this is probably good advice or the coastal boater.
those of us in the great lakes only have to worry about saltwater in the wintertime. ;-)

Back