• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 w/ 130,000, a few minor glitches.

rockclimber24315

NAXJA Forum User
So I bought a 1990 cherokee with 130,000 for $1000 all stock and I was driving down our dirt road in the rain and the rear wiper quits. I messed with the switch and nothing happened so when I got home I took off the panel and checked everything out. I can hear the relay clicking when I hit the switch, so it is getting power to the hatch, and I think theres a short from the relay to the motor. I recently fiberglasses a hole in the back, could the water from the hole have messed up the motor mechanism? Also theres a set of connecters similar to the electric window defroster thats not hooked up and another set of hook up thats more square than round thats not hooked up, any idea of what those might be? It would be great if someone has a scematic or something. I'll try and get pictures, and I'm going to take of the motor assembly and mess with it and try and get it to work when it's not a downpour. Also there is a little oil running down the back of the engine, I think it may be the valve cover seal. Anyone know how much to torque the valve cover down after the seal change, I don't want to bend it. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Check for binding in the outside shaft. Those wipers frequently seize up from corrosion in the shaft bushing. If that's the case, don't try to run it at all until you fix it. It will otherwise either burn out the motor or strip the gears. If you're lucky and that hasn't happened yet you can open up the motor and free everything up again.

If you don't have rear hatch speakers, then the extra plugs may be for those.

Rocker arm cover: I don't know if it's the same for all years, because they changed from aluminum to steel at some point, for the 95 with steel cover, the FSM specifies 115 inch pounds.

Back