• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocking Questions

Frank Z

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm in the market for some shocks and am considering Bilstein 5150 series shocks. I'm a little in the dark on the valve options though. The two that I'm looking at are the BF5-A196-H1 (valving is 255/70) and the BF5-A196-H0 (valving is 170/60). The web site I found them on does not explain what the valve number mean. (Yes, I know they have to do with compression and rebound.)

So Question number one is... What do those numbers mean? And number two...Anyone have any real world experience with these shocks.

At $99 each plus shipping they seem like a good choice.

I have ran the Bilstiens on many of my other vehicles and I liked them very well. But for the money, I dont think you could beat the RS9000's. I have them on my 99' and I absolutely love them. I can have them set for a nice ride on the street and I can bump the rear up a couple clicks when I am loaded down and it really does make a difference. Bilstiens are a good quality product but I have had both and I would go with the RS9000's. Just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

I'm with Racer-X on the Rancho RS9000. I don't have them on my XJ yet but they were great on my CJ. Basically you can firm them up a click or two for the street and loosen them up for the trails. Actually I set the front and left it and would click the reat softer when I aired down. They absolutly blew away the RS5000's I had on the street and trail. I also ran the RST Rancho self adjusting shock on a mostly street 98 F-150 and all I can say is WOW.

I have a set of the 7100's, 275/78 valved for the front, the rear should be a bit softer depending on your spring pack. the valving numbers are a result of shock dyno testing, dampening/time I believe but it is a strange area, haven't really found a good explanation. If you have some softer springs you may look into the 255/70 for the front, again, depending on your coil spring rate. never ran the 5150's but the 7100s are rebuildable and revalvable, not sure if the 5150s are.
good luck

If you are stuck on the Blisteins call Dirk at DPG. He is one of the sponsers of this site and I believe thats what he recomends or can recomend what's best for your set-up and use.

Back