• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just another floor pan project.

anodyne33

NAXJA Forum User
I finally dove into the 90's and got myself a digital camera, so I've been looking for stuff to shoot. Posted these up on a local board yesterday, figured I share them with the NAXJA masses. It will probably make a few people feel better about their floor situations. If a picture is worth a thousand words, prepare yourself for a bunch of cursing:

Here's the subject, '96 2 door, 242, AX-15, 86k on the clock.

DSCF0035.jpg

Right rear:

DSCF0028.jpg

You betcha that climbs right up the wheel well...

DSCF0030.jpg

Left side is more of the same.

DSCF0031.jpg

Passenger floor doesn't look too scarry.

DSCF0034.jpg

Yeah, that's not to be said for the driver's floor.

DSCF0033.jpg

And this little bucket of hell under the rear seats. Drivers side is by far the worst. Lot's a radiuses in there. Joy!

DSCF0032.jpg

I just bought this one last year. It was supposed to be the clean daily driver so I could lift my '95. My Jeep project priorities have shifted slightly. I'm absolutely to blame for not realizing how bad it was when I looked under it, and being a stubborn ass, this thing is a labor of love now. I've got the full front pan on the way from Amazon, and I'm going to order the rear from Sherman and chop sections out of both and replace large chunks. Now I have to convince my neighbor that he want's to teach me how to weld, and start cutting away and prepping.

I'm amazed at the wealth of insight that I've found here on how to tackle this. It almost makes fell less crazy for trying to do this myself!

Shane

thats not too bad, Chugly, my old '89 didn't have a rear floor, at all.

Still sucks though, this summer is floor replacement for the family XJ fleet.

Hey rehab, did you just cut out the crossmember under the seat and then weld it back in? How about that area under the rear seat? Just some BFH persuation to form the patches?

Wow our floors are twins.

I've been debating whether it's even worth fixing. I got the XJ for $700 and my cargo area looks identical to yours and I can touch the passenger front carpet from underneath. There are just holes all over and I'd really like to now buy whole new floorpans, I'd rather save quite a bit of money by just using sheetmetal.

Damn, that's dire straits you're in there. Gotta love the PA/WV climate and the salt that comes with it. My XJ's a '96 2 door with a little over 84k and it barely has a spot of rust under it, except on the steel hardware (diffs, axles, etc.) Undercoating's damn near flawless. Original owner was from South Dakota, so I'm guessing the air's a little more sheet metal friendly out there. A few more years in WV and it'll be rusted up real good. Good luck! Post up after pics when you're done.

ddeadserious said:
Wow our floors are twins.

I've been debating whether it's even worth fixing. I got the XJ for $700 and my cargo area looks identical to yours and I can touch the passenger front carpet from underneath. There are just holes all over and I'd really like to now buy whole new floorpans, I'd rather save quite a bit of money by just using sheetmetal.

I don't know man, I ordered my floor from Amazon on saturday, and it showed up yesterday $165 shipped. I've got basically no sheetmetal experience, so just doing those spots under the rear seat should keep me on my toes enough for one project.

Damn, you guys are making me nervous about peeking under the carpets on my newly acquired '88. With those floors, how does the rockers and exterior look?

NXJ said:
Damn, you guys are making me nervous about peeking under the carpets on my newly acquired '88. With those floors, how does the rockers and exterior look?

All the outside sheetmetal on mine looks primo. Note to self... take a screwdriver and do some prodding to inspect the underside of the next XJ I buy...

Back