• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear whine.

killer98xjsport

NAXJA Forum User
I just had 4.56 put in my xj and my axle sound like a siren. Shop told me that lower gears will make more noise, but this is a little extreme. Anyone had this problem? I think it may be the backlash.

I know of a shop that does high quality work like that, but I doubt you came all the way to Florida from Portland to have the work done.

Something is seriously wrong with the set-up...the gears may already be too damaged to fix....A quality set of gears properly set up are no noisier than the stockers.

you should not hear anything................that shop screwed it up and tried to cover it up-----------------------------Kyle

I HAVE PULLED BOTH FRONT AND REAR COVERS AND THE GEARS LOOK GOOD. THERE WAS NO ABNORMAL AMOUNTS ON METAL IN THE FLUID. ALL MY GEAR AND INSTALL KITS ARE YUKON SO I THINK ITS THE SET UP.

Agreed, i'm running 4.56s front and rear and they don't make any whining noises.

The setup sounds like it was done poorly.

Back