• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I found a D44 in the curb...

adamusmc2002

NAXJA Forum User
anybody want it? Haha, just kidding! I want it!! Yeah, can you believe that?! I was on a bike ride this evening down military road, headed south. I got all the way to where it forks, and the left part of the fork is a dead end, if anybody's been down there. Anyway, I've been on this ride once, and last time I turned around before the dead end, but today, I thought "hey, why not go check out what's up the hill?" On my way up the hill, I spot a differential cover in the grass and weeds right on the side of the road in the shallow ditch. I thought to myself "No Fing way", but got off my bike anyway to check it out. I wanted to finish my ride and get home to my jeep, so I just peeked under the brush to make sure it wasn't just a third member, and whatya know, the axle tubes, shafts, and pinion were all there!! The drums are kinda screwed up, and it might be a full-length 44, but hey, it's a hella of a kick start! Here's a couple quick pics, I haven't had any time yet tonight to clean it up, cuz I don't have the space, for one, or the time tonight, so it's staying in the jeep til the weekend probably.

D20_1049.jpg

D20_1048.jpg

D20_1047.jpg

Let me know anybody, if you see something, or if you think it's too messed up to mess with, or anything, like how you hate me for finding a D44 in the curb! :)

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention... I called Matt,(Ixnayxj) to tell him about my good fortune. I started the conversation by asking him to guess what I had just found in the curb while on a bike ride... He replies, " a Dana 44." and I said "Yes!" And of course, he went off on me, about how Fing lucky I am, and what a piece of sh!t I am, you know, :) It was crazy though, that out of everything he could of guessed, he guessed it right.

You suck and I hate you.

That's nothing! There was this one guy recently I heard about who found an entire JEEP on the side of the road. It's just SITTING THERE! It must not belong to anyone or anything, right? :D

Nice find, Adam. :D

adamusmc2002 said:
Thanks Joe :) Jeez, you just joined and you have more posts than me! what's that all about? guess I need to step it up huh?

between work and school I'm probably on a computer 15 hours a day. This 1/4 it should be close to 20.
icon10.gif

hmm, d44 rear 6 lug...

what the hell would that be from? isuzu trooper/honda passport maybe? or wait those are isuzu 12 bolt right??

My first guess would be some kind of Chrysler OE, like a Dakota or something like that.

adamusmc2002 said:
Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention... I called Matt,(Ixnayxj) to tell him about my good fortune. I started the conversation by asking him to guess what I had just found in the curb while on a bike ride... He replies, " a Dana 44." and I said "Yes!" And of course, he went off on me, about how Fing lucky I am, and what a piece of sh!t I am, you know, :) It was crazy though, that out of everything he could of guessed, he guessed it right.

Yeah, and then Matt called me to vent about it! Nice find Adam, I hope it proves usable.

On a similar note I got a free 8.8 today:shhh:

hey Adam you and I should hang out sometime not looking for woman. Maybe some of that good luck will rub off or something :dunno:

WheelinJR said:
hmm, d44 rear 6 lug...

what the hell would that be from? isuzu trooper/honda passport maybe? or wait those are isuzu 12 bolt right??

My first guess would be some kind of Chrysler OE, like a Dakota or something like that.

Or a 73-84 Grand Cherokee

I actually have a D44 now too :p. It was given to me yesterday by a guy in which I met through work. He had an extra from a jeep project he was doing, but his wife made him get rid of the jeep. I gave him $50.00 for it.

I won't put it on till I find another D44 though. If i'm going to go through the trouble of doing the switch, then i'm only going to do it together on both.

Sounds like most of us are running into some good parts :)

Are you sure you didn't find it in a Walmart parking lot? :rof:

Adam,
I would recommend you do some serious research before you do too much work to that axle. If the WMS to WMS distance is very close to what you want then it might be a good start if you can change the wheel bolt pattern on the shafts (or alternative). On the other hand it would not surprise me if it cost you more money to make it work than it would cost to start with the housing you want.

Keep in mind that the cost of the housing is not as significant as the cost of the rest of the parts for the re-build in many cases (assuming new bearings, seals, brakes, locker, gears, etc). I am making the assumption that you can do all the work yourself re-mounting shock mounts, leaf spring mounts, install gears, lockers, etc. If you are having these things done then I would guess it would be significantly cheaper to start with the housing that best fit's your needs from the begining.

Michael

yes, wheelinJR, I usually have it more organized, but the only way I could fit the axle was with the seat down, and my stuff all over the place. I don't have a garage,(apartment living sucks) so I bring everything with me, spare drive shafts and front axleshafts, tools, fluids, zip ties, portable air compressors, toe straps, fold up chairs, the works.

John, it's centered. The brakes are kinda screwed up, but I'm wondering if this will be a starter housing. Would it be worth fixing?

old_man said:
Are you sure you didn't find it in a Walmart parking lot?
That was my next question.
Avanteone said:
Yup, looks like Waggy to me. Hard to tell in the pics. Is the pumpkin centered or offset?
That was my first guess.

The conversation was pretty damn funny, though, I gotta admit. :)

-----Matt-----

i found one today up in the foothills, don't know what it came out of, it's a 44 housing with puny spring over and it looks pretty short. i didn't have a tape measure. the leafs are still on it, but everything is gutted and there's various internals laying about, it looks straight, the bearing surfaces are not marred up. people just throw their crap out at any dead end logging road around around here. it's pretty sad but it's the port angeles way, more like the olympic peninsula way i guess.

Back