• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sputtering / loss of power

mattlh113089

NAXJA Forum User
i just change the spark plugs in my 1990 xj and i lost alot of power i know i didnt cross the plug wires b/c i did each plug one at a time and found i had only been running on 5 cylinders anyway but do my plugs need to be gapped ? if so to what :huh:

mattlh113089 said:
i just change the spark plugs in my 1990 xj and i lost alot of power i know i didnt cross the plug wires b/c i did each plug one at a time and found i had only been running on 5 cylinders anyway but do my plugs need to be gapped ? if so to what :huh:

You may have damaged one or more of the plug wires in the process of changing the plugs. It is easy to do!

I think it 0.035 gap, many come pre set but I always check mine and reset them if needed. What part number, brand plug did you use?

Ecomike said:
You may have damaged one or more of the plug wires in the process of changing the plugs. It is easy to do!

I think it 0.035 gap, many come pre set but I always check mine and reset them if needed. What part number, brand plug did you use?
the # on my reciept from autozone says #870933 4002 im not sure if thats the part # but it they're bosch platinum plugs i'll go throuigh and check the wires again but i knoiw that has to be the problem because it was running just fine b4 i change the plugs so something changed between the changing thanks i appreciate it

Back