• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another New Guy in OC

bertramguy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in Newport Beach but I work in Costa Mesa. I found these forums a couple weeks ago (thank God) I have learned alot. I bought a 2000 sport for my soon to be 16 year old son, it too is 100 % stock including the saggy ass end. I'm in the market for a 3" lift as well. What do you guys think of the Pro Comp 3" lift with shocks and add a leaf ? Like I said the Jeep is my sons daily driver and outside of hauling his 16 year old wise ass to and from school it will mostly be used for surf trips down to Baja and will eventually end up living permenantly at our place in La Paz. I'm also looking for some 31 x 10.5 tires what works well ?

Welcome fellow OC'er.

I would stay wawy from any Pro Comp suspension parts. I have ran their tires and I have a tow rope and light that are Pro Comp.

The most common thing you will find around this group is Rubicon Express. There many others.

I was part of a group that just did a Rough Country 3" kit with add-a-leaf. Mike Rollins (MJR) can help your with the details as he spec'd it out. It was very affordable and lifted the sagging Jeep almost 4" inches. I think it was less than $500 for the complete kit with shocks and extended rear brake line.

You guys should come up to Big Bear for SOCAL Fest. It is May 4th thorugh 6th. Details here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=180

I would recommend a 3 to 3.5 inch lift, rock rails, tow points, gast tank skid, and 31" tires. That will get you around the trails pretty decent. I ran a 3.5" lift for almost 2 years and drove most everywhere I wanted. The problem with the 3" lift, other than some trail limitations, is that once you go wheelin with other folks and meeting them, seeing the higher lifts can cause a condition known as "inchinitis" (means wanting to go bigger) It happens to almost everyone.

I don't think there will be a Meet & Greet before the Big Bear event. April is almost half way over and folks are getting thier junk ready for Big Bear.

Hope to get to meet you soon!

Welcome! :)

I think most people prefer the spring pack kits to the AAL kits to ward off sagging, it's only another 100 bucks or so.

Other than that...I had very good luck with ProComp A/T's and wheeled some pretty technical trails on them. In OC, there's no need for M/T's...more noise, worse fuel economy, and they have NO traction in winter conditions should you decide to head up to Big Bear in the ice.

Welcome aboard!

I just recently threw a Rusty's 4.5 inch lift on (full springs all the way around) and i LOVE L-O-V-E it. Yea, it rides like a roller skate at times, and it isn't the BEST components, but man oh man, did it improve the way my junk wheels. However, for your needs i 100% agree with Robert, a 3.5 inch lift and 31's will do your rig very nicely! Just be sure to take the advice you will get here and GET PROTECTION if you plan on doing any trails with rocks of any sort, you WILL come into contact with them, and due to the design of the XJ, high centering or coming down hard on one can render it......very hurt. If you just plan on doing mild fire roads and the occasional beach blast, absolutely that 3.5 inch lift on 31's will do the trick! Anyhow, welcome to the group!

welcome OC'r. RE 3.5 will be good for 31" tires.

bertramguy said:
I'm in Newport Beach but I work in Costa Mesa. I found these forums a couple weeks ago (thank God) I have learned alot. I bought a 2000 sport for my soon to be 16 year old son, it too is 100 % stock including the saggy ass end. I'm in the market for a 3" lift as well. What do you guys think of the Pro Comp 3" lift with shocks and add a leaf ? Like I said the Jeep is my sons daily driver and outside of hauling his 16 year old wise ass to and from school it will mostly be used for surf trips down to Baja and will eventually end up living permenantly at our place in La Paz. I'm also looking for some 31 x 10.5 tires what works well ?
Be at the meet and great at Oggies in H.B. tuesday night and you will see many lifts and folks that no all about that stuff.....Santa

4xSanta said:
Be at the meet and great at Oggies in H.B. tuesday night and you will see many lifts and folks that no all about that stuff.....Santa

X2... you and your son, or whole family, shoudl come on out.

I will be there with my wife and my 3 yr old son

hope to see you there...

STAY AWAY FROM PRO COMP LIFTS!!!!! there tires are awsome and lights are ok but there lifts are shitttttttty. Go with RE 3.5 ull be much more happy with the ride...

89xjJe3per said:
STAY AWAY FROM PRO COMP LIFTS!!!!! there tires are awsome and lights are ok but there lifts are shitttttttty. Go with RE 3.5 ull be much more happy with the ride...

x2 their stuff doesnt last. it is nice and cheap tho :D

I don't think there will be a Meet & Greet before the Big Bear event. April is almost half way over and folks are getting thier junk ready for Big Bear.

Hey Robert what about the OC M&G next Tuesday in HB @ Oggi's? Is if off now???:eyes:

hellbilly04 said:

Hey Robert what about the OC M&G next Tuesday in HB @ Oggi's? Is if off now???:eyes:

LOL, I posted that before I posted the M&G.

THE M&G IS ON!!!! There are at least 8 folks said they will be there already!!!!

Back