• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Fluid Change

AfricaXJ6

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys;

I have about 7 litres of Transmission fluid which is William Penn brand.
The label says that it is a replacement for dexronII and mercon ATF.

I plan to change the transmission fluid since i bought this vehicel in jan 2007 and do not know when it was last changed.

Any comments on whether I should use this brand transmission fluid in my 1998; jeep cherokee; 4.0 Litre auto.

I thank you in adance for the suggestions.

The agents quoted me just under 9 USD/litre; and I will buy this if I have to.It is just that I have the William Penn ATF in my garage and if i could save some bucks; why not.

regards
collin

never heard of it, but i would buy fresh fluid if you don't know how old it is. i carried around a couple quarts in my jeep for a few years, (in case someone needed it) and it turned to crap. new fluid is pretty cheap insurance every few years. my .02

Dexron III! I just did mine (i also did not know how old but it was brownish)just pulled plug, for some reason,got close to 4 quarts from the drain,I only had to replace 3 though,make sure if doing it this way to check fluid level hot before you drain to be certain how much to put back in.Iam doing this atleast 3 times( drain and refill) to make sure I get Most of the old junk out without breaking the pan seal.My past experiences with getting that pan to re-seal was the major contributing factor in not breaking the seal.

Thanks guys for teh response.

Hi Viapol;

If you do not break the pan seal; are you not concerned about teh condition of the filter ?

ALso is Dexron III a better choice than Dexron II ?

What brand would you suggest ?

thanks in advance

regards
collin

Back