• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No More Chirp!!

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
Having recently replaced my water pump, thermostat, hoses and belt I ended up with a chirping sound that I could not locate. I arbitrarily went back and replaced the idler pully since its a cheap part, and then noticed that the belt had relaxed quite abit since I installed it. Tightened that baby up and the chirp is gone! I know its not a big deal to some people but whenever I do something like this for the first time or as in this case the first time in a long time, it seems like a huge accomplishement. Having said that, I think I drilled the bleed hole in the thermostat too big because now it takes quite awhile for the engine to get up to operating temperature. Just how big should that hole be and is it really necessary on a 1994 cooling system?? TIA

The bleed hole only needs to be the size of a pen point or a tad smaller 1/16 or so. Did you get one othe crikit tension gauges yet ?

RichP said:
The bleed hole only needs to be the size of a pen point or a tad smaller 1/16 or so. Did you get one othe crikit tension gauges yet ?

Hey Rich,

Do you happen to have a part number for that gauge? The guys at my local Napa had no idea what I was talking about and napaonline blows.

Thanks!

You know I did the same thing. When the belt continued to squeal after the new idler. I cranked her down tighter than what I thought it should be, and alas it stopped.

Rich I don't have a cricket guage. Wouldn't know what one looks like if it was put right in front of me. I used the "quarter turn" technique. :shhh: Maybe I should look into one ya' think? Thanks as always for the input. I think I made the bleed hole about 3/32" which means I'll be putting in another as soon as I get around to it.

I think 3/32's is probably OK, it does not have to be a monster size, as I remember the factory oem one has a tiny brass insert in the hole to size it down even futher. I was just guessing at the size from my minds eye, with that tiny insert it's probably smaller. I just never had to plan to drill one before so I never paid any attention. With all our jeeps I just stock up 6 at a time from the dealer, that keeps us good for a couple of years at least.
As for the krikit II Napa does have it on their site, two in fact, one for regular belts and one for serpentine belts [no idea what the diff unless it's pounds], some posted the napa part number here in the last 4 or so months including a link if I remember right.

Back