• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this Oring and is it needed in a d44?

tkm

NAXJA Forum User
Well I pulled out my carier to add a lockright and where the axle tubes are pressed into the pig there is a big oring on either side, (inbetween the axle tube and the bearing on the carier) When I called to order my lockright the guy had no idea what I was taking about and had never seen it before. anyone know what it is and if its or what its for?

this is the area
dog010.jpg

in red is the oring Im talking about
axleseal.jpg

I dont' think that that is an O-ring. Mine had the same black RTV there when I pulled my carrier on my XJ44. I just pulled out what I could and left it. D44 still works.

My assumption was that it was RTV from when they built it.....exactly why they RTVed right there, I have no clue. Maybe to help seal the tubes and the pumpkin?

I just pulled out the loose stuff and called it good. I guess if you really wanted to you could throw some more RTV in there...but I don't see what it would do.

mjma, your assumtion is correct.

I usually cut the stuff out so it doesn't get into something later. Never had a problem/leak there yet.

But then again I'm not seeing the diff a year down the road to see if it is leaking.

TrueHi9, do you have any idea why they put the RTV there??? I'm no diff expert, but as far as I understand how everything in the rear axle works, RTV was not going to be doing anything there.....

Axle housings have a tendency to leak out the plug welds where the tube is pressed into the center.

"To seal the tubes to the pumpkin" like you figured in an earlier post.

On a front HP44, there is an axle seal at that place.

Yes but that axle seal is sealing the axle.

The silicone ring mentioned is left over silicone from sealing the tube to the center pumpkin.

Most rear end factorys didn't use to do this but they would sometimes acquire leaks out the plug welds down the road.

naw, he was talking about his rear axle.

Yes it my rear axle, I wasnt sure if it was used to keep the lube in the bearing longer before it worked it way down the tubes of to keep the bearing from vibrating or walking, thanks for all the info guys.

Back