• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 limited

godxzilla

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, my first post here. Anyway, I just bought a 2001 Limited XJ. Its an 01 with options unlike many other 01's that seem to be pieced together with a random mix of options.

Anyway....i just watned to ask you guys if there was something I should look for when I check the truck out. I put 100 bucks down but dont get to see it or drive it until friday, so I want to know what I should watch out for before agreeing to this deal.

Its an 01, 4x4, 120K miles, and it really looks perfect inside and out (based on pictures, which can be deceiving).

Thanks for any comments! I had an 86 cherokee a while back and it was a GREAT truck, aside from things that broke due to my stupidity.

I just purchased an 01 xj with 94K in sept of 06. My air conditioner bearings started making loud gringing noises shortly after this, and finally locked up a few months later. I had to purchase a rebuilt unit to correct the problem ($211 w/shipping). I did some looking around to also find out what to look at before purchase. The oil pans rust through on the side, the power steering hoses crack/leak, and cooling system problems were the most talked about.
My truck had a bad oil pan, and the p/s hoses was already fixed. No cooling problems have come to light.Check out the whole truck anything is possible. I prefer to test drive a couple of times with some highway and city trips. I love the jeep!!!!

A/C, and coolant quality is the two most important things to check. The A/C is going to be hard to check right now because it isn't warm enough to make the compressor run long enough. It should still cycle in the defrost setting though.

You want to check the coolant level, and condition of it. The 0331 heads that are on the 00/01 have been known to crack between the #3 & 4 cylinders. While I don't think it is a widespread of a problem as some think. It still should be looked at before buying.

Another thing to check out on any 97+ is that the power window switches work from all doors. The cause of not working is a faulty window lock switch on the driver side control.

If you do end up picking it up I would definitely work in a full fluid change (transmission takes Dextron/Mercron IIE not ATF+4 no synthetic either make sure that they know that), and a one year warranty on the A/C system (or at least long enough to get through the summer). The evaporators are notorious for leaking, and are expensive to fix.

Here is a decent thread on the head topic, and if you search 0331 head you will find several threads on it.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80757&highlight=cracked+heads

Last edited:
He really can't check the head without taking it apart.

A compression test might be benificial.

I would identify and take it to a qualified mechanic before purchasing it.
Maybe even pay the seller to take it to a dealership to have it tested.
If it's in good condition, and if you're paying, I think the seller would be willing to do this.

My '01 with 78k.....

The bearing on my a/c compressor bit the dust about 8k ago, and i was stuck in a position where i couldn't fix it myself.......cost me $750 to fix :flamemad:

The end tank on my stock radiator decided to crack a few thousand miles after that, a HD 2-row Modine fixed that problem...........has a lifetime warranty

other than these PITA's it's been good to own

rear main oil seal - i've had to replace 2. look for drops of oil on the bottom of the bell housing after you've taken it for a drive. i'll also say that is the only prob i've had with my 01 w/ 116K.

RTicUL8 said:
He really can't check the head without taking it apart.

True, but the crack on the 0331s can usually be seen by removing the oil filler cap and checking between the #3 and #4 cylinders with a flashlight. Point taken, though.

A compression test might be benificial.

Definitely, as well as checking the coolant for bubbles and/or oil.

FWIW, my A/C bearings squeal like a stuck pig at 120,000 miles (and have done so since around 110,000 or so), but tend not to do it once the engine's warm. I need to replace the compressor, but figure I'll wait for catastrophic failure and do the whole lot at once. It still spits out cold air, but by God does it drag the engine.

Also check to see if it has the off-road group (towhooks, skidplates) and tow package (tow bar plus auxiliary tranny cooler); you might get lucky. I did :)

Last edited:
casm said:
True, but the crack on the 0331s can usually be seen by removing the oil filler cap and checking between the #3 and #4 cylinders with a flashlight. Point taken, though.

I couldn't see mine until it got hot tanked.

Thanks guys...most important to me is the head and the rear main. 2 things I dont want to mess with. I will obviously check out all the mentioned items as well. I am planning to run a carfax, maybe ill get lucky and see some service calls for items mentioned above...I have most of the tools and skills necessary to do just about any job on this thing, so im not too worried about it overall, as long as it seems well cared for. The price we worked out is 6350. He was asking 6900.

without pressure testing the cooling system, is there any obvious signs I can look for? its a 3 hour drive from my house so when I get there Ill not really have time to find a local mechanic and get it checked. I can check the bellhousing for oil, and will.

oil pan is no big deal, although ill check it. same with PS hoses....

thanks guys, this is great! Its nice knowing ill have some things to look for instead of "wow this looks nice, thanks!".

Mike

godxzilla said:
Thanks guys...most important to me is the head and the rear main. 2 things I dont want to mess with. I will obviously check out all the mentioned items as well. I am planning to run a carfax, maybe ill get lucky and see some service calls for items mentioned above...

Carfax is good, but only as good as the reporting to the DMV and insurance companies has been over the life of the vehicle. If you can, get the VIN and go to your nearest dealer. Tell them you want the recall and service history for the vehicle; if they look at you like they can't do it, tell them it's on the VIP report. While you're at it, grab the option sheet (also on the VIP report), which should give you the spec of the vehicle when it left the factory.

without pressure testing the cooling system, is there any obvious signs I can look for?

Overheating, oil and/or bubbles in the coolant, mayonnaise on the oil filler cap, poor compression - not necessarily symptomatic of cooling issues, but can point them being or having been a problem.

Also check to see if the evaporator has been changed on it. The 97+'s are notorious for them going bad.
The job is fairly simple as far as complexity but is a pain in the butt and time consuming.

ok well thanks for the tips! I actually never even made it to look at this jeep. I found another 2001 with half the miles (65K) for the same price. its not a limited but is a maroon classic and really looks perfect! I checked it out and drove it. I love it! I did however look it over as you guys suggested, and when I put the rear windows down, the passenger side window would not come back up. I mentioned it to him and he said he would either get it fixed before I pick it up (May 11th) or he will knock the price of the replacement off the total cost...

car6.jpg

I found a great truck and had the ammo I needed thanks to you all.

Thanks again...

Anyone with an 01 know if they have the LATCH system for child seats?

Mike

Last edited:
ha! actually he lowered the price due to a few minor things he didnt want to fix.

1. wipers only work on high. im sure its something I can handle
2. fog light out....uhh...bulb :)
3. front speakers not working. easy
4. small rip in passenger seat. I didnt realize just how small until I saw it. definately not a deal breaker.

overall the truck is really clean inside and out. I am just bummed I have to wait until the 11th to get it. I want out of my maxima, like NOW!

godxzilla said:
Anyone with an 01 know if they have the LATCH system for child seats?

The 2001 product info literature lists 'rear child seat tether anchorages' as being installed, but as for whether or not they're LATCH-compatible I don't know.

Nice XJ, though. Apart from being a Classic on gunmetal rims, that's a virtual clone of mine:

xjthreequarter4.jpg

I wasn't that wild on the colour (Sienna Pearlcoat) when I got it, but after a couple of years it's really grown on me.

Blaine B. said:
And I don't think his has upcountry either from the pics.
ignore me. I wuz confused.

Back