• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code scanners????

Hypoid

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hi,
Newb to the XJ here, I guess that explains how we brought home a '90 Limited; ok, ok, it was shiny and it had the I-6.
After a day of searching, and reading, I'm still confused about which commonly available code scanners work with this system. Are they also compatible with the brake and tranny control modules?

Also, when I start the motor I don't see the check engine light at all. Is this normal?

Great site BTW! I've found a lot of usefull info; my biggest problem so far. Seems like nobody else wants to talk about the Renix(?) system, yet the dealer wants $120 just to run a diagnostic... Not on my budget! LOL

TIA, Mike

No, "commonly available" code scanners won't work.

Yes, it's normal to not see the CEL/MIL when you start up.

Since you have a 1990, you have the RENIX engine management system, which is "pre-OBD," and does not have a CEL/MIL or a "standard diagnostic port" (like GM's ALDL.) Also, RENIX does not "store" or "throw" codes, so there isn't anything to access anyhow.

Troubleshooting on RENIX is done with a DMM and your noodle.

Oddly enough, I tend to prefer RENIX over OBD-I/II (I should - I only have five of them...) and it's a lot easier to adapt around problems, or handle something that needs fixing. Also, most of the parts are GM, which makes them easier to find.

If you go to the Strokers egroup (groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers) and check out their "Files" section, you'll find a RENIX FI manual - download it! Also, I've set up an information exchange at groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower - several here are members as well, and there are a few "blue-sky" projects we've got in mind. I don't think I put the RENIX FI manual up there, but I may have - and if you don't find it either way, let me know and I'll send you a copy via email.

5-90

Found em, Thanks!

I'll have to study more later, ALLDATA had me set up the TPS opposite of the manual: Higher voltage at closed throttle, lower voltage at WOT.
IIRC I recorded the input voltage at closed throttle and output voltage at closed throttle. I then divided the first value into the second: working range was .825 to .835 with .830 being ideal. Somewhere in my math brain I'm thinking this is a percentage?(82.5 to 83.5%) Anyhow, I settled for a value of .828, no overspeeding at startup so far.

Does this sound about right?

Back