• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

73 Ford LTD, W/351 V-8, 74,000 original miles

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
Anyone interested in a 73 Ford LTD, with only 74,000 miles on the entire vehicle, original OEM engine, 351 cubic Inch, V-8, and transmission?:sunshine:

Ecomike said:
Anyone interested in a 73 Ford LTD, with only 74,000 miles on the entire vehicle, original OEM engine, 351 cubic Inch, V-8, and transmission?:sunshine:
Correction and update: The odometer shows 89,964 miles. The engine was still using straight 30 wt oil in the winter and straight 40 wt oil in the summer. I last drove it in the summer of 2000, but I started and ran it for 30 minutes every couple of months until 2 years ago when the battery died.

I bought it from a neighbor in 1996, a retired minister who had used it for a 1/2 mile trip once a week for 23 years (she is in her late 80's now), and I used it as my DD till I got a 1991 Ford Tempo in 2000 that was much easier on fuel, at a time when I was driving 100 miles a day. It used barely a 1/2 quart of oil in 3000 miles (40 wt) when I parked it. The transmission had a small shaft seal leak, about 1 quart every 2-3000 miles when I parked it. It had 24,000 miles on it when I bought it in 1996 and had been parked under a car port. I replaced the enterior upholstery in 1997-98 and had it repainted with the oringinal metallic copper PPG paint in 1998.

I parked it for 2 reasons, one was to replace the entire A/C system as it was 100 F summer time here in Houston and the A/C compressor had just died. The other was gas mileage. Also, The trunk was rusting out and I started to clean and primer it and had planned to line it with a fiberglass, stainless fine wire mesh cloth, but those projects never got completed. Now the body cancer has started to spread and it has some mildew in the inside that needs a good cleaning.

Lastly a tree limb hit the top roof edge above the middle of the drivers door so it needs some body work there now to get the door glass and rubber to reseal at that spot properly. It is currently leakproof thanks to some duct tape. It looks repairable to me, but I already 3 XJ's now and I have decided to sell this restoration project, or at least the engine, tranny, drivetrain? etc since I might be able to get more for them than the entire car.

At some point I can get a battery, top off the fluids, restart it and run it. I have no doubt it will start and run. It does not have a current inspection sticker or tag, but I have the title, old license receipts, and it was driveable with new tires when I parked it. The tires are still holding air and were barely used.

It is exempt in Texas from emissions testing (over 25 years old), but the last time it was tested for emissions it meet NEW car emissions requirements in Texas. It was lasted tested in late 1998 early 1999 as I recall, not more than a year before I parked it. So the engine was solid and barely broken in.

I will add more details as I recall them.

Last edited:
Back