• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering pully

Jonnyjpr

NAXJA Forum User
Tryin to pull my power steering pully off. rented one of those power steering pully pullers from autozone but seems like the threads dont match up. Any help of how to get the pully off anyother way.

The threads in the pump are for putting the pully ON, not taking it off. There should be just a plain ram nose on the puller, which will pass through the centre of the pully as it comes off (otherwise, it lines directly up on the shaft.)

Expect it to be difficult to remove, I've never had them come off easy. Your pump should come with a bolt, nut, and washer - this is the "kit" to put the pully back on. Paint the shaft and pully hub with never-seez, set the pully hub over the shaft end, and then screw the nut onto the bolt ALL THE WAY UP to the head. Put the washer on.

Thread the bolt into the pump shaft until it bottoms out, then turn the nut and washer until they contact the face of the pully hub. Get out your wrenches.

The never-seez should make it easier to press the pully on, but you'll go until the washer bottoms out agains the shaft nose, and the pully hub is flush with the end of the shaft.

5-90

The puller you're suppose to use comes in several pieces... There should be 2 split half pieces that fit into the groove on the pulley "hub". Theres another band that holds the two half in place, which also holds the bolt part, that ulitmately pulls your pulley off.

I rented such a puller at my Rent-All place for about $7.00. It helps if you bring in the PS pump in so they match it up to the correct puller.

It should come off fairly easy with a wrench, quicker with an air gun.

Replacing the pulley is just as 5-90 describe above.

Back