• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

command to select--how and can I?

Cipey

NAXJA Forum User
i have a stick 98 xj sport (4.)and want to install a ft4wd t-case.

how do i do this? is it just the matter of swawping out the t- cases?

how do i find out what kind of tcase i have now and the one a i want to swap it too? my local jeep dealers want to charge me to just look at it..i have access to a lift at work but wouldn't know what to look for..

help me please...there is prob a thread about this here somewhere i cannot find it

thanks

cip
boston

The '98 jeep should have the NP-231 transfer case. If you want to be sure, crawl under your jeep and look at the back of the transfer case. There will be a small(1.5")round medalion screwed to the case slightly above the centerline with red markings and stamped numbers on it. Somewhere on that tag will be a mod. number like :
NP 231 - Most probably what you have
NP242 - What you want to install. If you got it your golden.
np207 - if it says this, you cuss and say "what the,..?" because NP207s were only used in "87 and they suck.
NP241OR - Dream on. It doesn't say that. Thats the "roc-trac" out of a Rubicon.

To swap in a full time case(NP242), You need the new t-case, and if the transmission the new T-case was on is different then the trans you have, you'll need a new input gear for the T-case. You might need new drive shaft yokes, depending on the installed options. Jeep has used a couple different drive shaft styles.

Just curious, why do you want a full time case? As I understand it, the only advantage is driving on road in snow/ice

tbburg said:
NP242 - What you want to install. If you got it your golden.

He won't have it. His is a 5-speed, and the 5-speed didn't come from the factory with a 242.

Having said that, there're a couple of people here who have converted their 5-speeds to the 242 without any real issues. Some searching should turn it up.

np207 - if it says this, you cuss and say "what the,..?" because NP207s were only used in "87 and they suck.

Not quite - the 207 was only used up until 1986. It was either the 231 or 242 after that.

Just curious, why do you want a full time case? As I understand it, the only advantage is driving on road in snow/ice

Being able to make tight turns on the trail in 4FT and not experiencing wheel hop is also more than worth it.

CASM: My bad. Should have said "up to '87." I just bought an '87 "chief" with a -207 on board. Maybe it's early production.

'Didn't know it(the nv-242) wasn't an option -w- the 5-spd.

Cipey: When you score the T-case, also get the whole shifter if you have access to the doner vehicle. You might also want that little trim panel that has the T-case shift pattern. I'm not sure, but I think they made push button/elec. shift models of the NP-242. You probably don't want that option. Maybe CASM can confirm this.

cjsxj87: No clue what build date was. 'Sent my friend in LA a check for it on the strenght of a handflu of pics. It's still in Lake Charles until I find the time to tow it out here. Poor thing had the crap kicked out of it, but the engine runs! Fortunately the Poo-go trans is shot and will need to be replaced (I'm thinking AW-4 and a -231 at the same time)

We're kind of getting off topic here. Anybody else 'got info. on what else Cipey's going to need to get 4-hi on pavement?

tbburg said:

I know this is getting off topic, but neither did I. Good info to know. Wonder why they didn't come from the factory with the 242?

My guess is: When the 242 was first optioned, the BA10 and AX15 had a 21 spline output, the AW-4 had a 23 spline output, and they were all to lazy, stupid, or cheap to make another input gear for the 242. By the time the AX-15 was upgraded to the 23 spline shaft, they forgot it would now be a direct bolt-up. You got to remember that the accountants always make the final decision, and accountants don't ask the engineers.

Back a little ways on topic, I think by '98 the AX-15 has a 23 spline output shaft, and I think it's the same size as the AW-4 shaft

tbburg said:
CASM: My bad. Should have said "up to '87." I just bought an '87 "chief" with a -207 on board. Maybe it's early production.

No worries. Actually, I think I see where you're coming from on this - it's down to the difference between model year and year of production. If your 207-equipped XJ was built in November of 1986, that's understandable - it would technically be an '87 if going by model year. But if 231/242 production started January 1, 1987 (and that's purely a notional date), I can see how the dates may have been confused. Then there's what the DMV decides to title it as, which may have no bearing on reality whatsoever.

Could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time!), but AFAIK it never was.

I'm not sure, but I think they made push button/elec. shift models of the NP-242. You probably don't want that option. Maybe CASM can confirm this.

At least in the the XJ the 242 was always a strictly-mechanical engagement - even in early form when the 231 used a vacuum disconnect, it didn't.

picked up a used 99 tranny today with only 19810 on it....would this be easier to swap a 242 into?

unfortunatly guys i don't have the wide open spaces youze have out in the southwest...wish i did....most of my driving is on pavement, doing recovery for a wreaker company where i work..got great access to parts...for some reason not many xj's..wonder why...never see 'em!!!! going off road is great but few trails here....enviremental cops grab u up soon as you go off roading...its the blue state mentality.....so getting muddy is only 'bout 15-20% of my xj use

Here's something from the Advanced adapters web site:

TF904 = 23 Spline Flush
TF999 = 23 Spline Flush
NV3550 = 23 Spline Flush
AX15 = 23 Spline Long
AX4 = 21 Spline Flush
(Pre 97) AX5 = 21 Spline Flush
Peugeot = 21 Spline Long
(97+) AX5 = 21 Spline Long

It might help sort out some of the questions. Unfortunately they don't list the AW-4 which I think was made in both 21 and 23 spline versions, but I'm still looking for a reliable source for that.

here's where it came from:
http://72.20.96.178/commerce/ccc1015-1987-2006-transfer-cases.htm

Looking at your last post, If I read that right, you have an AW-4 in the jeep? If it's already an auto, the 242 should bolt right up. I thought you were trying to swap in the 242 behind a manual trans.

Cipey said:
how do i do this? is it just the matter of swapping out the t- cases?

Swap the Tcase, the shift gate and the shifter bezel. Get the wire harness from the 242 Tcase so you can hook up the dash lights so the FULL-TIME indicator will light up.

The have been many posts with pictures that explain the steps. Use the ADVANCED SEARCH feature to find more info. Try "242 swap" (with the quotes) as your keywords.
standard.jpg

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
Swap the Tcase, the shift gate and the shifter bezel. Get the wire harness from the 242 Tcase so you can hook up the dash lights so the FULL-TIME indicator will light up.

The have been many posts with pictures that explain the steps. Use the ADVANCED SEARCH feature to find more info. Try "242 swap" (with the quotes) as your keywords.
standard.jpg

'tanks a bunch

cipey

Back