• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bump stop broken bolt

Jeeps in Head

NAXJA Forum User
Well I was in the process of taking my rear factory bump stops out to put spacers between to lengthen them, and broke the foward bolt clean off. What the hell do I do now? Im going to order a set of DPGs Adjustable bump stops I guess. But that doesn't solve the broken bolt. The other bolt is holding it in place very well, but was wondering if I should try to get the rest of the rusty bolt out of the frame rail or just say screw it and use some sort of adhesive or somthing to hold it down tight. Would somthing like this work or not. Please all help and past experiences would greatly help.

Thanks

Same thing happened to me on two of the bumpstop bolts. I drilled them out and tapped new threads and screwed bigger bolts back in.

I just put 1x2 square stock under mine last week and both drivers bolts snapped. If you can't weld then you're left with drilling out those boogers. Get a good cobalt bit and have at it. It sucked but I did have enough room to get in there and get it done without dropping the axle and springs. I lucked out and was able to drill straight through the bolts and just chased the nuts and reinstalled bolts. I did not have to tap it to the next bigger size. Good luck.

Back